• Ivarsson T, Skarphedinsson G, Kornor H, Axelsdottir B, Biedilae S, Heyman I, et al. The place of and evidence for serotonin reputake inhibitors (SRIs) for obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) in children and adolescents: views based on a systematic review and meta-analysis. Psychiatry Research. 2015;227:93–103 Comprehensive review and meta-analysis of pharmacotherapies for pediatric OCD.
Scahill L, Riddle MA, McSwiggin-Hardin M, Ort SI, King RA, Goodman WK, … Leckman JF. Children’s Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale: reliability and validity. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1999: 36:844-52.
• Franklin ME, Kratz HE, Freeman JB, Ivarsson T, Heyman I, Sookman D, … March J. Cognitive-behavioral therapy for pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder: empirical review and clinical recommendations. Psychiatry Res 2015:227: 78-92. Comprehensive review of CBT literature for pediatric OCD as well as combined treatment trials (SRIs + CBT).
Franklin ME, Sapyta J, Freeman JB, Khanna M, Compton S, Almirall D, … March JS. Cognitive behavior therapy augmentation of pharmacotherapy in pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder: the pediatric OCD treatment study II (POTS II) randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2011:306: 1224-32.
• O’Neill JO, Piacentini J, Chang S, Ly R, Lai TM, Armstrong CC, et al. Glutamate in pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder and response to cognitive-behavioral therapy: randomized clinical trial. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017;42:2414–22 Clinical trial examining Glu levels before and after CBT; model study for integrating neurobiological and behavioral findings in accordance with the RdoC model espoused at NIMH.
Skarphedinsson G, Weidle B, Thomsen PH, Dahl K, Torp NC, Nissen JB, et al. Continued cognitive-behavior therapy versus sertraline for children and adolescents with obsessive-compulsive disorder that were non-responders to cognitive-behavioral therapy: a randomized controlled trial. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2015;24:591–602.
Melin K, Skarphedinsson G, Thomsen PH, Weidle B, Torp NC, Valderhaug R, Hojgaard DRMA, Hybel KA, Nissen JB, Jensen S, Dahl K, Skarsater I, Haugland B S, Ivarsson T. Treatment gains are sustainable in pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder: three-year follow-up from the NordLOTS. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2019.01.010
Ivarsson T, Thomsen PH, Dahl K, Valderhaug R, Weidle B, Becker Nissen J, et al. The rationale and some features of the Nordic Long-Term OCD Treatment Study (NordLOTS) in childhood and adolescence. Child Youth Care Forum. 2010;39:91–9.
Torp NC, Dahl K, Skarphedinsson G, Thomsen PH, Valderhaug R, Weidle B, Franklin ME, … Ivarsson T. Effectiveness of cognitive behavior treatment for pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder: acute outcomes from the nordic long-term OCD treatment study (NordLOTS). Behav Res Ther 2015:64: 15-23.
Kushner MG, Kim SW, Donahue C, et al. d-cycloserine augmented exposure therapy for obsessive-compulsive disorder. Biological Psychiatry. 2007;62:835–8.
• Storch EA, Wilhelm S, Sprich S, Henin A, Micco J, Small BJ, et al. Efficacy of augmentation of cognitive behavior therapy with weight-adjusted d-cycloserine vs placebo in pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry. 2016;73:779–88 Multisite randomized controlled trial examining DCS augmentation of CBT in pediatric OCD.
Schade S, Paulus W. D-cycloserine in neuropsychiatric diseases: a systematic review. Int Jnl Neuropsychopharm. 2016;19:1–7.
Williams KA, Swedo SE, Farmer CA, Grantz H, D’Souza P, Hommer R, et al. Randomized, controlled trial of intravenous immunoglobulin for pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2016;55:860–7.
Giulino L, Gammon P, Sullivan K, Franklin ME, Foa EB, Maid R, et al. Is parental report of upper respiratory infection at the onset of obsessive-compulsive disorder suggestive of pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorder associated with streptococcal infection? Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. 2002;12:157–64.
Perlmutter SJ, Leitman SF, Garvey MA, et al. Therapeutic plasma exchange and intravenous immunoglobin for obsessive-compulsive disorder and tic disorders in childhood. Lancet. 1999;354:1153–8.
Murphy TK, et al. A double-blind randomized placebo-controlled pilot study of azithromycin in youth with acute-onset obsessive-compulsive disorder. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. 2017;27:640–51.
Foa EB, Kozak MJ. Emotional processing of fear: exposure to corrective information. Psychological Bulletin. 1986;99:20–35.
Mowrer OA. A stimulus-response analysis of anxiety and its role as a reinforcing agent. Psychological Review. 1939;46:553–65.
Mowrer OA. Learning theory and behavior. New York: Wiley; 1960.
• Varigonda AL, Jakubovski E, Bloch MH. Systematic review and meta-analysis: early treatment responses of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and clomipramine in pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2016;55:851–9 Meta-analysis attesting to the efficacy of SRIs for pediatric OCD that also failed to find a clear dose-response effect.
Freeman J, Sapyta J, Garcia A, Compton, S, Khanna M, Flessner C, … Franklin ME. Family-based treatment of early childhood obsessive-compulsive disorder: the pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder treatment study for young children (POTS Jr.)—A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry 2014:71: 689-98.
Pediatric OCD Treatment Study Team. Cognitive-behavior therapy, sertraline, and their combination for children and adolescents with obsessive-compulsive disorder: the Pediatric OCD Treatment Study (POTS) randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2004;292:1969–76.
Leonard RC, Franklin ME, Wetterneck CT, Riemann BC, Simpson HB, Kinnear K,… Lake PM. Residential treatment outcomes for adolescents with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Psychotherapy Res 2016:26: 727-36.
Franklin ME, Kay, B, Cook J, Riemann B, Katz J, et al. Machine learning in pediatric OCD: methods and application. 2019. Manuscript in preparation.
• Insel TR, Cuthbert BN, Garvey MA, Heinssen RK, Pine DS. Research Domain Criteria (RdoC): toward a new classification framework for research on mental disorders. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2010;167:748–51 Presentation of the RDoC model and its implications for next-stage clinical research trials in the US.
Chakrabarty K, Bhattacharyya S, Christopher R, Khanna S. Glutamatergic dysfunction in OCD. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005;30:1735–40.
Franklin ME, Himle MB. “Evidence-based psychosocial treatments for tic disorders”: theoretical and treatment implications. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice. 2007;14:274–8.