CA6NM stainless steel submitted to different thermal cycles in the Gleeble weld simulator
- 73 Downloads
Subregions of CA6NM (ASTM 743) heat-affected zones—HAZ, were investigated in a microstructural and mechanical perspective. Those subregions suffer microstructural changes in welded joints, being considered the most critical regions in welded components. As the HAZ subregions possess very small volume, base metal was submitted to a welding simulation in the physical Gleeble simulator, which allows to reproduce the same microstructures found in real welding, allowing characterization of the different subregions in HAZ. Simulated samples were analyzed by optical microscopy (OM), scanning electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction measurements. For mechanical properties, evaluation samples were submitted to impact and hardness measurements. Microstructural and mechanical analysis for the experiments showed that δ-ferrite is found in all HAZ subregions, being related to higher microhardness and higher absorbed energy in impact. Higher heat inputs promoted higher hardness levels and higher δ-phase amounts.
KeywordsCA6NM (ASTM 743) Arc welding Gleeble Delta phase
The authors acknowledge FAPESP (The Scientific Research Foundation of the State of São Paulo, Brazil) for financial support and also CNPEM/LNNano laboratories and University of São Paulo for technological and instrumental support. Finally, authors acknowledge Dedini for material supply.
- 2.Gracioso JFF (2003) Efeito das condições de têmperas na microestrutura e propriedades mecânicas de um aço inoxidável martensítico fundido CA6NM. Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, FlorianópolisGoogle Scholar
- 6.Gonçalves BHB (2007) Estudo comparativo da resistência à erosão por cavitação do metal de solda depositado por um arame tubular do tipo 13%Cr-4%Ni-0.4%Mo e do aço fundido ASTM A743 CA6NM, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica, UFMG, Belo Horizonte, p 100Google Scholar
- 9.Zaayman JJJ, Van Rooyen GT (1992) The toughness of the heat-affected zone of welds in 11.5 Per Cent chromium steels proceedings of the 1st international chromium steels and alloys congress, 26Google Scholar
- 11.Wang QF, Shang CJ, Fu RD, Yang YN, Chen W (2005) Physical simulation and metallurgical evaluation of heat-affected zone during laser welding of ultrafine grain steel, Pricm 5: the Fifth Pacific rim international conference on advanced materials and processing, Pts 1–5 475–479: 2717–2720CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Poorhaydari K, Patchett BM, Ivey DG (2005) Estimation of cooling rate in the welding of plates with intermediate thickness. Weld J 84(10):149S–155SGoogle Scholar