Effects of optimized airfoil on vertical axis wind turbine aerodynamic performance
- 21 Downloads
This paper investigates the effects of optimized airfoil on VAWT (vertical axis wind turbine) aerodynamic performance. The thickness and camber of the airfoil are selected as the constraints, the value of the maximum tangential force coefficient is chosen as the objective function, optimizing NACA0015 airfoil to enhance the wind energy utilization efficiency of the VAWT, a 3D CFD simulation is used to get the flow characteristics of the VAWT under variable tip speed ratio (TSR) conditions. To ensure the accuracy of the numerical simulation, the power coefficient calculated by CFD is validated against previous experimental result. The optimized airfoil is shown to improve the aerodynamic performance of the wind turbine. Through investigating the effects of optimized airfoil on the rotor flow field, this paper proposes measures to improve the VAWT aerodynamic performance under variable TSRs: measures should be made to avoid or delay the flow separation of blades and the stall vortex shedding and reduce the stall vortex scale at low TSR, while at high TSR measures should be made to shorten the wake length of the blades and reduce its diffusion range.
KeywordsVAWT Airfoil Optimization Variable TSR Stall vortex Wake
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- 1.Sheldahl RE, Klimas PC (1981) Aerodynamic characteristics of seven symmetrical airfoil sections through 180-degree angle of attack for use in aerodynamic analysis of vertical axis wind turbines. SAND80-2114; Sandia National Laboratories: Albuquerque, NM, USA, 1981Google Scholar
- 2.Claessens MC (2006) The design and testing of airfoils for application in small vertical axis wind turbines, Master’s Thesis, Faculty of Aerospace Engineering, Delft University of Technology, 2006Google Scholar
- 3.Shu C, Cai X, Pan P (2015) Research on aerodynamic and power characteristic for improved airfoils of vertical axis wind turbine. Water Resour Power 33(1):162–165Google Scholar
- 4.Liu X, Chen Y, Ye ZQ (2006) Analysis on the influence of aerodynamic performance enlarging the airfoil’s trailing edge thickness. Acta Energ Sol Sin 27(5):211–216Google Scholar
- 6.Simão FC, Geurts B (2013) Aerofoil optimization for the vertical axis wind turbine. Wind Energy 18:1371–1385Google Scholar
- 11.Bu YP, Song WP, Han ZH (2013) Aerodynamic optimization design of airfoil based on CST parameterization method. J Northwest Polytech Univ 31(5):829–835Google Scholar
- 13.Wei XY, Zeng GH, Wang WJ (2016) Multi-objective optimization method based on ABAQUS and modefrontier. Light Ind Mach 34(1):59–63Google Scholar
- 15.Musgrove P (2010) Wind power[M]. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar