Effects of apple fruit fermentation (AFF) solution on growth and fruit quality of apple trees
- 108 Downloads
It has been demonstrated that the use of organic materials in fruit orchards can effectively increase soil fertility, fruit production and fruit quality. Insect and disease damage, crop thinning, natural drop cause abscission and abscised parts are a source of organic additives for orchard production. In this study, we developed a fermented nutrient solution composed of young apple fruits, brown sugar, a fermenting agent and water. Diluted solutions (1:100 and 1:200) of this nutrient solution were sprayed on 2-year-old and 12-year-old apple (Malus domestica (Borkh.) ‘Fuji’) trees. The results showed that foliar spraying of the fermentation solutions significantly improved tree height, trunk circumference, shoot growth and leaf area of young apple trees, and increased the fruit weight, shape index, firmness, soluble solid content, volatile compound content and vitamin C content of adult apple trees, as compared to the control treatment. The effects of the 1:200 diluted nutrient solution were significantly greater than those of the 1:100 diluted nutrient solution. Foliar spray of a nutrient solution derived from young apple fruit promoted vegetative growth and fruit quality.
KeywordsFruit production and quality Nutrient solution Soil fertility
We would like to thank the Beijing Collaborative Innovation Centre for Eco-Environmental Improvement with Forestry and Fruit Trees, the Key Laboratory of Pomology at the Beijing University of Agriculture, the Beijing Nursery Engineering Research Center for Fruit Crops, the Key Laboratory of Agricultural Applications at the Beijing University of Agriculture, as well as all of the technicians at the China–Japan Friendly Sightseeing Orchard in the Changping District and the Changping Forestry Administration in Beijing.
This work was supported by the National Key Research Program (2016YFD0201116), the Beijing Key Project of Science and Technology Plan (D161100000716003), the Importation and Development of High-Caliber Talents Project of Beijing Municipal Institutions and the Beijing Municipal Science and Technology Commission under Grant Number PXM2016001.
- Dai ML, Li ST, Han ZH, Xu XF, Zhang XZ, Li TZ (2008) Effects of plant derived nutrient solutions on the growth and fruit quality of ‘Xueqing’ pear. J China Agric Univ 13:19–23 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Geng J, Cui NN, Zhang J, Zhou ZQ, Yao YC (2011) Effect of aromatic plant-derived nutrient solution on the growth, fruit quality and disease prevention of pear trees. Acta Ecol Sin 31:1285–1294 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Han NR (2006) 21st century organic agriculture. China Agricultural University Press, Beijing, pp 183–189Google Scholar
- Jakopic J, Veberic R, Zupancic K, Štampar F (2007) Influence of nitrogen on the contents of carbohydrates and organic acids in apples (Malus domestica Borkh.) cv. ‘golden delicious’. Eur J Hortic Sci 72:66–72Google Scholar
- Liu YN, Cui NN, Zhang J, Yu FM, Zhang LB, Yao YC (2011) Effect of aromatic plant-derived nutrient solution on inhibition of harmful bacteria and nutrition for pear plants. Sci Agric Sin 44:3981–3990 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Liu BH, Cheng L, Li MJ, Liang D, Zou YJ, Ma FW (2012) Interactive effects of water and nitrogen supply on growth, biomass partitioning, and water-use efficiency of young apple trees. Afr J Agric Res 7:978–985Google Scholar
- Luo R, Zhang J, Liu MJ, Ji QL, Yao YC (2012) Method of making pear fruit-derived nutrient solution and its effect on photosynthetic characteristics and fruit quality. Sci Agric Sin 45:3337–3345 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Swietlik DF (1984) Foliar nutrition of fruit crops. Hortic Rev 6:287–355Google Scholar
- Tian SL, Sun XL, Shen GN, Xu L (2015) Effects of compound fertilizer of (NH2)2CO and KH2PO4 on the chestnut photosynthesis characteristics, growth and fruiting. J Appl Ecol 26:747–754Google Scholar
- Wang XD, Shi DC, Song Y, Zhai H (2005) GC-MS analysis of fruit aroma components of organic ‘Fuji’ apple. Acta Hortic Sin 17:2262–2264 (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- Zhang J, Shao W, Jiang R, Ji QL, Yao YC (2015) Study of the optimal production process and application of apple fruit [Malus domestica (L.) Borkh] fermentation. Pak J Bot 47:279–286Google Scholar
- Zhang J, Pang H, Ma MX, Bu YF, Shao W, Huang WJ, Ji QL, Yao YC (2016) An apple fruit fermentation (AFF) treatment improves the composition of the rhizosphere microbial community and growth of strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa Duch ‘Benihoppe’) seedlings. PLoS ONE 11:e0164776CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar