Cross-Border Cooperation in the Euro-Mediterranean and Beyond: Between Policy Transfers and Regional Adaptations
- 100 Downloads
Since 2007, the Euro-Mediterranean area has been included among the mesoregions covered by the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP). Such a choice has not been exempted from criticisms, insofar as the geographical coverage of the “European Neighbourhood” has been judged too wide and too diverse to be the object of a single policy. The aims and scope of the European Union’s strategies towards Mediterranean countries, moreover, are different from those towards the Eastern European Countries, while policy instruments, implementation procedures and political narratives are more or the less the same. The paper addresses the case of one of those policy instruments: Cross-Border Cooperation, an important component of the ENP; it presents a comparative analysis of Cross-Border Cooperation initiatives in the Euro-Mediterranean area vis-à-vis similar initiatives launched in other ENP’s mesoregions. The implementation of the policy, it is argued, is based indeed upon a mixture of policy transfers and local adaptations, and produces both homogenizations and differentiations. The aim of the paper is to see how a single policy instrument (Cross-Border Cooperation within the ENP) is adapted to the specificities of each mesoregion, what kind of regionalization and bordering/cross-bordering processes it produces, and what role the Euro-Mediterranean area is supposed to play in this frame.
KeywordsEuropean Neighbourhood Policy Cross-Border Cooperation Euro-Mediterranean area European Union
We acknowledge the financial support of the European Union Seventh Framework Programme FP7/2007–2013, Grant Agreement no. 266920: EUROBORDERREGIONS. European Regions, EU External Borders and the Immediate Neighbours. Analysing Regional Development Options through Policies and Practices of Cross-Border Co-operation. The EC is not liable for any use that can be made on the information contained herein.
- Aliboni R (2005) The geopolitical implications of the European neighbourhood policy. Eur Foreign Aff Rev 10:1–16Google Scholar
- Beck U, Grande E (2007) Cosmopolitan Europe. Polity Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Celata F (2012) Free Trade Area. In: Giaccaria P, Paradiso M (eds) Mediterranean Lexicon. SGI, Roma, pp 329–345Google Scholar
- Celata F, Coletti R (2011) Le funzioni narrative dei confini nelle politiche di cooperazione transfrontaliera in Europa. Rivista Geografica Italiana 118(2):219–245Google Scholar
- Cremona M, Hillion C (2006) L’Union fait la force? Potential and limitations of the European Neighbourhood Policy as an Integrated EU Foreign and Security Policy. European University Institute Working Papers 2006/39Google Scholar
- Del Sarto R, Schumacher T (2005) From EMP to ENP: what’s at stake with the European Neighbourhood Policy towards the southern Mediterranean? Eur Foreign Aff Rev 10(1):17–38Google Scholar
- Dimitrovova B (2010b) Remaking Europe borders through the European Neighbourhood Policy. CEPS Working Document No 327/March 2010. Accessed 15 October 2012. http://www.ceps.eu/ceps/download/3045
- European Commission (2007) ENPI Cross-Border Cooperation Strategy Paper 2007–2013. Accessed 15 October 2012. http://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/where/neighbourhood/regional-cooperation/enpi-crossborder/documents/summary_of_straregy_paper_en.pdf
- European Commission (2011a) A partnership for democracy and shared prosperity with the Southern Mediterranean. EC Communication 8.3.2011, COM (2011) 200. Accessed 29 October 2012. http://eeas.europa.eu/euromed/docs/com2011_200_en.pdf
- European Commission (2011b) A new response to a changing neighbourhood. A review of the European Neighbourhood Policy. Accessed 29 October 2012. http://ec.europa.eu/world/enp/pdf/com_11_303_en.pdf
- European Parliament (2007) Motion for a European Parliament Resolution on strengthening the European Neighbourhood Policy—report 26 October 2007 A6-0414-2007. (Accessed 15 October 2012. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+REPORT+A6-2007-0414+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN