The Permanent Functions of Tensors
- 71 Downloads
By a tensor we mean a multidimensional array (matrix) or hypermatrix over a number field. This article aims to set an account of the studies on the permanent functions of tensors. We formulate the definitions of 1-permanent, 2-permanent, and k-permanent of a tensor in terms of hyperplanes, planes, and k-planes of the tensor; we discuss the polytopes of stochastic tensors; at the end, we present an extension of the generalized matrix function for tensors.
KeywordsBirkhoff-von Neumann theorem Doubly stochastic matrix Hypermatrix Matrix of higher order Multidimensional array Permanent Polytope Stochastic tensor Tensor
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)15A15 15A02 52B12
The work was done while the second author was visiting Shanghai University during his sabbatical leave from Nova Southeastern University. This expository article was written based on the second author’s presentation at ICMAA in Da Nang, Vietnam, June 14–18, 2017. The authors appreciate the communications with C. Bu, L. Cui, S. Hu, L. Qi, A. Taranenko, Y. Wei, and G. Yu during the preparation of the manuscript.
The work of Wang was partially supported by the Natural Science Foundation of China (11571220); the work of Zhang was partially supported by an NSU PFRDG Research Scholar grant.
- 1.Ahmed, M.: Algebraic Combinatorics of Magic Squares. University of Califorina - Davis, Ph.D. Thesis (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Cayley, A.: On the theory of linear transformations. Cambridge Math. J. 4, 193–209 (1845)Google Scholar
- 10.Che, M., Bu, C., Qi, L., Wei, Y.: Nonnegative tensors revisited: plane stochastic tensors. Linear Multilinear Algebra. https://doi.org/10.1080/03081087.2018.1453469
- 13.Colbourn, C.J., Dinitz, J.: Handbook of Combinatorial Designs, Second Edition. Chapman and hall/CRC Press, Boca Raton (2006)Google Scholar
- 23.Liang, Y., Ke, R., Li, W., Cui, L.: On the extreme point of m-stochastic tensors. Manuscript (2017)Google Scholar
- 26.Lim, L.-H.: Tensors and Hypermatrices. Chapter 15 in Handbook of Linear Algebra, Second Edition. Chapman and hall/CRC, Boca Raton (2013)Google Scholar
- 36.Tichy, M.C.: Sampling of partially distinguishable bosons and the relation to the multidimensional permanent. Phys. Rev. A 022316, 91 (2015)Google Scholar
- 37.Zhang, F.: Matrix Theory: Basic Results and Techniques, Second edition. Springer, New York (2011)Google Scholar