Epi proColon® 2.0 CE: A Blood-Based Screening Test for Colorectal Cancer
Epi proColon® 2.0 CE is a blood-based test designed to aid in the early detection of colorectal cancer. The test comprises a qualitative assay for the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) detection of methylated Septin9 DNA, the presence of which is associated with colorectal cancer: however, positive results should be verified by colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy. Epi proColon® 2.0 CE discriminated between patients with colorectal cancer and healthy controls with high clinical sensitivity and specificity in pivotal case-control studies. The sensitivity of the test did not appear to be affected by the tumour location or by patient age or gender. In addition, limited data suggest that Epi proColon® 2.0 CE discriminated between patients with colorectal cancer and healthy controls with higher sensitivity and generally similar specificity to that of the faecal immunochemical test, and with higher sensitivity and specificity to that of the guaiac-based faecal occult blood test (statistical data not available). In an observational study, most patients who refused colonoscopy for screening accepted a non-invasive test option as an alternative, and preferred Epi proColon® 2.0 CE over a stool-based test. Large prospective trials of Epi proColon® 2.0 CE in a screening setting will be required to further elucidate the cost-effectiveness of the test. Nevertheless, currently available data suggests that Epi proColon® 2.0 CE has the potential to be a sensitive and convenient screening option for patients refusing screening by colonoscopy.
- 2.International Agency for Research on Cancer. GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11. http://globocan.iarc.fr. Accessed 9 Jan 2017.
- 4.American Cancer Society. Colorectal cancer facts and figures 2014–2016. http://www.cancer.org. Accessed 9 Jan 2017.
- 11.Epigenomics Inc. Epi proColon 2.0 CE (European version IFU 0009GB, rev 6)—instructions for use. 2015. http://www.epiprocolon.com/. Accessed 9 Jan 2017.
- 12.Epigenomics AG. Epigenomics AG: life technologies to supply crucial components for second-generation colorectal cancer blood test [media release]. 2011. http://www.epigenomics.com.
- 13.Epigenomics AG. Epigenomics announces the European launch of Epi proColon® 2.0 CE [media release]. 2011. http://www.epigenomics.com.
- 14.Epigenomics Inc. Epi proColon (US version IFU 0008, rev 10)—instructions for use. 2016. http://www.epiprocolon.com/. Accessed 9 Jan 2017.
- 25.Epigenomics AG. Epigenomics and BioChain announce the inclusion of their proprietary blood-based septin9 test in the Chinese screening guideline for colorectal cancer [media release]. 2015. http://www.epigenomics.com.
- 26.Chinese Society of Digestive Endoscopy of the Chinese Medical Association, Oncologic Endoscopic Committee of the Chinese Anti-Cancer Association. Chinese early colorectal cancer screening and endoscopic diagnosis and treatment guidelines (Beijing, 2014). Chin J Dig Endosc. 2015;32(6):341–60.Google Scholar