Synthetic Turf Fields, Crumb Rubber, and Alleged Cancer Risk
Most synthetic turf fields have crumb rubber interspersed among the simulated grass fibers to reduce athletic injuries by allowing users to turn and slide more readily as they play sports or exercise on the fields. Recently, the crumbs have been implicated in causing cancer in adolescents and young adults who use the fields, particularly lymphoma and primarily in soccer goalkeepers. This concern has led to the initiation of large-scale studies by local and federal governments that are expected to take years to complete. Meanwhile, should the existing synthetic turf fields with crumb rubber be avoided? What should parents, players, coaches, school administrators, and playground developers do? What should sports medicine specialists and other health professionals recommend? Use grass fields when weather and field conditions permit? Exercise indoors? Three basic premises regarding the nature of the reported cancers, the latency of exposure to environmental causes of cancer to the development of clinically detectable cancer, and the rarity of environmental causation of cancer in children, adolescents, and young adults suggest otherwise.
Compliance with ethical standards
No sources of funding were used to assist in the preparation of this article.
Conflict of interest
Archie Bleyer has no conflicts of interest directly relevant to the content of this article.
- 1.How safe is the artificial turf on your child’s sports field? 2016. http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/nightly-news/how-safe-is-the-artificial-turf-on-your-childs-sports-field-339230787933. Accessed 12 Jun 2016.
- 2.US to mount multiagency study of health risks of synthetic turf. 2016. http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/US-to-mount-multiagency-study-of-health-risks-of-6827632.php. Accessed 2 Jul 2016.
- 3.Federal research on recycled tire crumbs used on playing fields. 2016 https://www.epa.gov/chemical-research/federal-research-recycled-tire-crumbs-used-playing-fields. Accessed 16 Jun 2016.
- 4.Request to National Toxicology Program to conduct toxicological studies on health impacts of chemicals released from synthetic turf. 2016 http://www.oehha.ca.gov/risk/SyntheticTurfStudies/TurfRequest040416.html. Accessed 16 Jun 2016.
- 5.Synthetic turf/recycled tire crumb rubber research program. 2016. http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/about_ntp/bsc/2016/june/meeting%20materials/turf_crumb-rubber_508.pdf. Accessed 16 Jun 2016.
- 6.SB 47 Senate Bill. Bill analysis: California. 2016 http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/15-16/bill/sen/sb_0001-0050/sb_47_cfa_20150413_101423_sen_comm.html. Accessed 13 Jun 2016.
- 12.Mota H, Gomes JFP, Bordado JCM, et al. Coated rubber granulates obtained from used tyres for use in sport facilities: a toxicological assessment. C Tecn Mat. 2009;21(3–4):26–30.Google Scholar
- 14.California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment. Evaluation of health effects of recycled waste tires in playground and track products. Prepared for the California Integrated Waste Management Board. 2007. http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/publications/Detail.aspx?PublicationID=1206. Accessed 5 Apr 2017.
- 17.Cardno ChemRisk. Review of the human health and ecological safety of exposure to recycled tire rubber found at playgrounds and synthetic turf fields. Prepared for the Rubber Manufacturers Association, Washington, DC. 2013. https://rma.org/publications/scrap-tire-publications/environmental-issues/te-003-review-human-health-and-ecological. Accessed 30 Apr 2017.
- 20.New York Department of Environmental Conservation. An assessment of chemical leaching, releases to air and temperature at crumb-rubber infilled synthetic turf fields. 2009. http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/materials_minerals_pdf/crumbrubfr.pdf. Accessed 5 Apr 2017.
- 21.Johns DM. Initial evaluation of potential human health risks associated with playing on synthetic turf fields on Bainbridge Island. Seattle (WA): Windward Environ LLC; 2008.Google Scholar
- 23.New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. Crumb rubber synthetic turf athletic fields and play areas lead test results for crumb rubber infill. 2008. https://www.nycgovparks.org/news/reports/synthetic-turf-tests. Accessed 5 Apr 2017.
- 27.Synthetic turf and crumb rubber: investigation of reported cancer among soccer players in Washingon State. 2017. http://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/Schools/EnvironmentalHealth/syntheticTurf. Accessed 6 Apr 2017.
- 28.Oomen AG, de Groot GM. Evaluation of health risks of playing sports on synthetic turf pitches with rubber granulate: Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment. 2017. http://www.rivm.nl/en/Documents_and_publications/Scientific/Reports/2017/February/Evaluation_of_health_risks_of_playing_sports_on_synthetic_turf_pitches_with_rubber_granulate. Accessed 30 Apr 2017.
- 29.Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program. SEER*Stat Database: incidence - SEER 18 Regs research data plus Hurricane Katrina impacted louisiana cases, total U.S., 1969–2013 counties, National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Surveillance Systems Branch, released April 2015, based on the November 2014 submission. http://www.seer.cancer.gov. Accessed 30 Apr 2017.
- 30.Bleyer A, Keegan T. Incidence of malignant lymphoma in adolescents and young adults in the 58 counties of California with varying synthetic turf field densities. 2016. http://comedsoc.org/index.php?m=47&s=486. Accessed 3 Jul 2016.
- 34.Howard J. Soccer players’ cancers ignite debate over turf safety. CNN. 2017. http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/27/health/artificial-turf-cancer-study-profile/. Accessed 6 Apr 2017.
- 35.Cancer Research UK. People fear cancer more than other serious illness. 2011. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-us/cancer-news/press-release/2011-08-15-people-fear-cancer-more-than-other-serious-illness. Accessed 6 Apr 2017.
- 36.Gawande A. The mistrust of science. The New Yorker. 2016. http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-mistrust-of-science. Accessed 26 Jun 2016.
- 37.Otto SL. Antiscience beliefs jeopardize U.S. democracy. Sci American. 2012.Google Scholar
- 38.Science scorned. Nature. 2010,467:133.Google Scholar
- 39.What America thinks: MetLife Foundation Alzheimer’s Survey. 2016. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjo4b3s7I3PAhUJzWMKHVLdBT4QFggeMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.metlife.com%2Fassets%2Fcao%2Ffoundation%2Falzheimers-2011.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHcrtEdJ4s5NDjXYS2X1sRCaojalQ&sig2=TeNN-XSfPHgr9WLlodOvow&cad=rja. Accessed 2 Jul 2016.