Abaloparatide: First Global Approval
Abaloparatide (Tymlos™) is a synthetic peptide analogue of human parathyroid hormone-related protein that was developed by Radius Health as an osteoanabolic agent for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Abaloparatide acts through selective activation of the parathyroid hormone type 1 receptor signalling pathway. In April 2017, subcutaneous abaloparatide received its first global approval, in the USA, for the treatment of postmenopausal women with osteoporosis at high risk for fracture, defined as a history of osteoporotic fracture, multiple risk factors for fracture, or patients who have failed or are intolerant to other available osteoporosis therapy. A Marketing Authorization Application for subcutaneous abaloparatide for the treatment of postmenopausal women with osteoporosis was accepted by the European Medicines Agency and is currently under review. Radius is also developing a transdermal formulation of abaloparatide, with administration via a microneedle patch. This article summarizes the milestones in the development of abaloparatide leading to this first approval for the treatment of women with postmenopausal osteoporosis.
- 1.US FDA. Tymlos™ (abaloparatide) injection, for subcutaneous use: US prescribing information. 2017. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2017/208743lbl.pdf. Accessed 30 May 2017.
- 2.Culler MD, Dong J, Shen Y, et al. BIM-44058, a novel analog of PTHrP with enhanced bone building activity, but decreased calcium-mobilization potential [abstract no. M460]. J Bone Miner Res. 2001;16(Suppl 1):M460.Google Scholar
- 5.US FDA. Novel drug approvals for 2017. 2017. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/developmentapprovalprocess/druginnovation/ucm537040.htm. Accessed 30 May 2017.
- 6.Radius Health. Radius announces European Medicines Agency validates Marketing Authorization Application for abaloparatide-SC for the treatment of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women [media release]. 2015. http://investors.radiuspharm.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=945612. Accessed 30 May 2017.
- 8.Radius Health. Radius announces positive top-line results from completed ACTIVExtend study for TYMLOS™ in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis [media release]. 2017. http://investors.radiuspharm.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1027778. Accessed 30 May 2017.
- 9.Radius Health. Radius, 3M Drug Delivery Systems announce exclusive agreement for development, commercialization of transdermal delivery of BA058 for osteoporosis [media release]. 2012. http://investors.radiuspharm.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=838112. Accessed 30 May 2017.
- 17.Saeh J, Pais D, Hamad E, et al. Clinical development of an optimized abaloparatide transdermal patch [abstract no. LB-1162]. In: 38th annual meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. 2016.Google Scholar
- 18.Radius Health. Radius Health reports first quarter 2017 financial and operating results [media release]. 2017. http://investors.radiuspharm.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1023647. Accessed 30 May 2017.