Supporting Medicare Health, Equity and Efficiency in Australia: Policies Undermining Bulk Billing Need to Be Scrapped
- 167 Downloads
KeywordsFederal Budget Ally Health Service Health Policy Reform Downstream Cost Health System Cost
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The authors, Simon Eckermann and Lynnaire Sheridan, have no conflicts of interest that are directly relevant to the content of this commentary, and they received no funding for this research.
- 2.Australian Department of Human Services. 2016. Medicare bulk billing. Retrieved July 6, 2016 from https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/medicare-bulk-billing.
- 3.Australian Government Department of Health. 2016. Quarterly medicare statistics—September quarter 1984 onwards. Retrieved July 6, 2016 from http://health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/Quarterly-Medicare-Statistics.
- 4.Parliament of Australia. 2016. Budget papers 2016–17. Retrieved July 6, 2016 from http://www.budget.gov.au/2016-17/content/.
- 5.Henderson A, Gribbin C. Election 2016: Turnbull says Labor’s $12b Medicare promise unfunded. ABC News, 19 May 2016 [cited 2016 July 6]. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-19/election-2016-turnbull-says-labor’s-medicare-promise-unfunded/7428348.
- 6.Duckett S, Boxall A, Baum F, Daube M, Clarke P, Javanparast S. Federal budget 2014: health experts react. The Conversation, 13 May 2013 [cited 2016 Jun 21]. http://theconversation.com/federal-budget-2014-health-experts-react-26577.
- 7.Hall J, De Abreu Lourenco R. GP co-payments: why price signals for health don’t work. The Conversation, 10 July 2014 [cited 2016 Jun 21]. http://theconversation.com/gp-co-payments-why-price-signals-for-health-dont-work-28857.
- 10.Harrison C, Bayram C, Miller G, Britt H. High cost of GP rebate freeze may see co-payments rise from the dead. The Conversation, 23 March 2015 [cited 2015 Mar 23]. http://theconversation.com/high-cost-of-gp-rebate-freeze-may-see-co-payments-rise-from-the-dead-38786.
- 14.Eckermann S. Over and under servicing: further reasons to scrap the GP co-payment. The Conversation, 7 August 2014 [cited 2015 Jun 21]. http://theconversation.com/over-and-under-servicing-further-reasons-to-scrap-the-gp-co-payment-30199.
- 17.Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Health at a glance 2013: OECD indicators. Paris: OECD Publishing; 2013.Google Scholar
- 18.Davis K, Stremikis K, Squires D, Schoen C. Mirror, mirror on the wall: how the performance of the US health care system compares internationally: 2014 update. New York: Commonwealth Fund; 2014.Google Scholar
- 19.Council of Australian Governments (COAG). Heads of agreement between the Commonwealth and States and Territories on the funding of public hospitals. April 1, 2016. Retrieved July 6, 2016 from http://www.coag.gov.au/node/537.
- 20.Australian Centre for Health Research. A proposal for affordable cost sharing for GP services funded by Medicare. 2013. http://www.cormorant.net.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/18-oct-2013-achr-gp-copayment-paper-final.pdf. Accessed 23 March 2015.
- 21.Parliament of Australia (2014). Budget papers 2014–15. Retrieved July 25, 2015 from http://www.budget.gov.au/2014-15/content/bp1/html/index.htm.
- 22.Taylor L. Coalition working on fifth incarnation of Medicare policy after co-payment killed. The Guardian, 3 March 2015 [cited 2015 Mar 23]. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/03/coalition-working-on-fifth-incarnation-of-medicare-policy-after-copayment-killed.
- 23.Al-Zaidy A. Models for paying providers: capitation. British Medical Association. 2015. https://www.bma.org.uk/connecting-doctors/policy_debate/new_integrated_care_models/m/bma_briefings. Accessed 6 July 2016.
- 24.Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian social trends 4102.0. 2013. Retrieved July 6, 2016 from http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/allprimarymainfeatures/244402E7BB2A27E2CA257BB200141ADB?opendocument.
- 27.Harris A. Things you should know about the private health insurance rebate. The Conversation, 1 July 2013 [cited 2015 July 2]. http://theconversation.com/things-you-should-know-about-private-health-insurance-rebates-15560.
© Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016