Supporting Medicare Health, Equity and Efficiency in Australia: Policies Undermining Bulk Billing Need to Be Scrapped
- First Online:
- 143 Downloads
- 2.Australian Department of Human Services. 2016. Medicare bulk billing. Retrieved July 6, 2016 from https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/medicare-bulk-billing.
- 3.Australian Government Department of Health. 2016. Quarterly medicare statistics—September quarter 1984 onwards. Retrieved July 6, 2016 from http://health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/Quarterly-Medicare-Statistics.
- 4.Parliament of Australia. 2016. Budget papers 2016–17. Retrieved July 6, 2016 from http://www.budget.gov.au/2016-17/content/.
- 5.Henderson A, Gribbin C. Election 2016: Turnbull says Labor’s $12b Medicare promise unfunded. ABC News, 19 May 2016 [cited 2016 July 6]. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-19/election-2016-turnbull-says-labor’s-medicare-promise-unfunded/7428348.
- 6.Duckett S, Boxall A, Baum F, Daube M, Clarke P, Javanparast S. Federal budget 2014: health experts react. The Conversation, 13 May 2013 [cited 2016 Jun 21]. http://theconversation.com/federal-budget-2014-health-experts-react-26577.
- 7.Hall J, De Abreu Lourenco R. GP co-payments: why price signals for health don’t work. The Conversation, 10 July 2014 [cited 2016 Jun 21]. http://theconversation.com/gp-co-payments-why-price-signals-for-health-dont-work-28857.
- 10.Harrison C, Bayram C, Miller G, Britt H. High cost of GP rebate freeze may see co-payments rise from the dead. The Conversation, 23 March 2015 [cited 2015 Mar 23]. http://theconversation.com/high-cost-of-gp-rebate-freeze-may-see-co-payments-rise-from-the-dead-38786.
- 14.Eckermann S. Over and under servicing: further reasons to scrap the GP co-payment. The Conversation, 7 August 2014 [cited 2015 Jun 21]. http://theconversation.com/over-and-under-servicing-further-reasons-to-scrap-the-gp-co-payment-30199.
- 17.Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Health at a glance 2013: OECD indicators. Paris: OECD Publishing; 2013.Google Scholar
- 18.Davis K, Stremikis K, Squires D, Schoen C. Mirror, mirror on the wall: how the performance of the US health care system compares internationally: 2014 update. New York: Commonwealth Fund; 2014.Google Scholar
- 19.Council of Australian Governments (COAG). Heads of agreement between the Commonwealth and States and Territories on the funding of public hospitals. April 1, 2016. Retrieved July 6, 2016 from http://www.coag.gov.au/node/537.
- 20.Australian Centre for Health Research. A proposal for affordable cost sharing for GP services funded by Medicare. 2013. http://www.cormorant.net.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/18-oct-2013-achr-gp-copayment-paper-final.pdf. Accessed 23 March 2015.
- 21.Parliament of Australia (2014). Budget papers 2014–15. Retrieved July 25, 2015 from http://www.budget.gov.au/2014-15/content/bp1/html/index.htm.
- 22.Taylor L. Coalition working on fifth incarnation of Medicare policy after co-payment killed. The Guardian, 3 March 2015 [cited 2015 Mar 23]. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/03/coalition-working-on-fifth-incarnation-of-medicare-policy-after-copayment-killed.
- 23.Al-Zaidy A. Models for paying providers: capitation. British Medical Association. 2015. https://www.bma.org.uk/connecting-doctors/policy_debate/new_integrated_care_models/m/bma_briefings. Accessed 6 July 2016.
- 24.Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian social trends 4102.0. 2013. Retrieved July 6, 2016 from http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/allprimarymainfeatures/244402E7BB2A27E2CA257BB200141ADB?opendocument.
- 27.Harris A. Things you should know about the private health insurance rebate. The Conversation, 1 July 2013 [cited 2015 July 2]. http://theconversation.com/things-you-should-know-about-private-health-insurance-rebates-15560.
© Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016