Photo responsive silver nanoparticles incorporated liquid crystalline elastomer nanocomposites based on surface plasmon resonance
- 83 Downloads
We reported a nano-Ag/liquid crystalline elastomer(LCE) nanocomposite by incorporating silver nanoparticles into a monodomain polysiloxane-based LCE matrix via a novel experimental protocol. The photo-thermo-mechanical actuation of the LCE matrix was realized via the surface plasmon resonance of silver nanoparticles while converting light into heat. The photoresponsive properties of nano-Ag/LCE nanocomposites were investigated with varying illumination intensities and silver nanoparticle doping concentrations(0.04% to 0.2%, mass fraction). The nano-Ag/LCE nanocomposites show sensitive deformation under irradiation due to their excellent photo-thermal conversion efficiency, and this photostimulated muscle-like actuation is fully reversible via the on-off behavior of light. Incorporating silver nanoparticles into the LCE matrix also improves the mechanical properties and enhances the load-actuation capability of the material.
KeywordsSilver nanoparticle Liquid crystal elastomer Nanocomposite Photo-thermo-mechanical actuation Surface plasmon resonance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors thank XIE Mingchen and HUANG Shuai for their academic communications. We thank LetPub (www.letpub.com) for its linguistic assistance during the preparation of this manuscript.
- Warner M., Terentjev E. M., Liquid Crystal Elastomers, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2007Google Scholar
- Yan C., Xiao Y. L., Dai H., Cheng X. H., Chem. J. Chinese Universi-ties, 2016, 37(3), 475Google Scholar
- Zheng M. Y., Wei Y. S., Geng W., Chem. J. Chinese Universities, 2015, 36(5), 855Google Scholar
- Xue P. H., Wang T. Q., Ai B., Ye S. S., Li D. F., Zhang J. H., Chem. J. Chinese Universities, 2014, 35(5), 1106Google Scholar
- Liu X., Li R. Z., Li L., Li W. J., Zhou C. J., Chem. J. Chinese Uni-versities, 2013, 34(6), 1333Google Scholar