Accidental paraquat induced hypersalivation: a case report
- 13 Downloads
Paraquat is one of the most commonly used lethal herbicide. Even the small amount of paraquat is hazardous to human beings. Poisoning by paraquat is most commonly happening in agricultural based economical country. This poison is a threat to public health and its high mortality rate is responsible for a significant number of death. We hereby report a case of 38-year-old male with a history of accidental paraquat ingestion. He works as a gardener which contributes to the ease in availability of the poison. He had the post accidental paraquat consumption complaints of lip sores, swallowing difficulty and hypersalivation in more amount. The patient was admitted in the Casualty and underwent the supportive treatment. Laboratory investigations were found to be normal except WBC count which was elevated. Early diagnosis and proper management can reduce the mortality rate and even small amount of paraquat can lead to some major fatal outcomes. At present there is no specific antidote available so there is a need to focus more on the prevention and management of paraquat poisoning.
KeywordsPoison Casualty Paraquat Fatal Accidental Herbicide
The authors acknowledge the support and cooperation provided by the staff of Government Headquarters Hospital Ooty. I would like to acknowledge our HOD Dr. S. Ponnusankar for his immense support and guidance.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors do not report any Conflict of Interest.
- 2.Arts J, Schuit G, Schipper A, Kleij B. A case report of paraquat poisoning. Eur J Hosp Pharm. 2006;12:22–4.Google Scholar
- 4.Aggarwal P, Wali JP. Diagnosis and management of acute poisoning. Delhi: Oxford University Press; 1997. p. 1–38.Google Scholar
- 6.https://www.syngenta.co.in/herbicides. © 2019 Syngenta. Accessed 2019.