Simulations of weld pool dynamics in V-groove GTA and GMA welding
- 632 Downloads
Many simulation models use an axisymmetric arc model for heat flux, arc pressure, and electromagnetic force. In V-groove welding, however, an elliptically symmetric arc model is more acceptable than an axisymmetric model. An elliptically symmetric arc model can be established by applying the Abel inversion method to CCD images of welding arc on V-groove.
This study uses an elliptically symmetric arc model for CFD based simulations of fluid flow behavior in weld pool of GMA V-groove welding. It recommends a new method of calculating the electromagnetic force distribution in V-groove welding.
A volume of fluid method is used to describe the molten pool flow in numerical simulations.
Keywords (IIW Thesaurus)Arc welding Electromagnetic fields Simulating
- 1.Cho DW, Na SJ, Lee MY (2009) Expectation of bead shape using non-linear multiple regression and piecewise cubic hermite interpolation in FCA fillet pipe welding. J KWJS 27(5):42–48, in KoreanGoogle Scholar
- 2.Cho DW, Na SJ, Cho MH, Lee MY (2011) A study on molten pool flow for various welding positions of V-groove GMA pipe welding, IIW conference, IstanbulGoogle Scholar
- 7.Cho JH, Na SJ (2009) Three-dimensional analysis of molten pool in GMA-laser hybrid welding. Weld J 88(2):35s–43sGoogle Scholar
- 8.Cho MH, Lim YC, Farson DF (2006) Simulation of weld pool dynamics in the stationary pulsed gas metal arc welding process and final weld shape. Weld J 85(12):271s–283sGoogle Scholar
- 9.Dupont JN, Marder AR (1995) Thermal efficiency of arc welding processes. Weld J 74(12):406s–416sGoogle Scholar