Recent Tomographic Imaging Developments at the PSICHE Beamline
- 2 Downloads
PSICHE is a high-energy, multi-technique beamline at the SOLEIL synchrotron facility. It performs X-ray tomography for materials science and other applications and X-ray diffraction for samples at extreme conditions. The beamline has been in service for user experiments since 2013, but is in continual development to add new capabilities. In this article, we present a series of new developments which combine diffraction and tomography and which are of relevance to the study of materials and manufacturing. By combining these techniques, we can add quantitative structural information from diffraction to morphological information obtained by tomography. Recent developments in very fast tomography allow dynamic processes to be studied in situ and in 3D with a time (frequency) resolution of 2 Hz. We have developed in situ sample environments to enable fast tomography measurements at high temperature and pressure, which will allow future studies of industrial processes such as hot isostatic pressing (HIP).
KeywordsTomography Diffraction Synchrotron radiation Materials science Extreme conditions In situ
The Dimax camera was on loan from the beamline ANATOMIX, an Equipment of Excellence (EQUIPEX) funded by the Investments for the Future program of the French National Research Agency (ANR), Project NanoimagesX, Grant No. ANR-11-EQPX-0031.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Li J, Guériau P, Bellato M, King A, Robbiola L, Thoury M, Baillon M, Fossé C, Cohen SX, Moulhérat C, Thomas A, Galtier P, Bertrand L (2019) Synchrotron-based phase mapping in corroded metals: insights from early copper-base artifacts. Anal Chem 91(3):1815–1825. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.8b02744 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Rivers M (2017) High-speed tomography using pink beam at GeoSoilEnviroCARS. In: Conference: SPIE optical engineering + applications, United States. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2238240
- 11.pco.dimax HS4. PCO AG, Germany. https://www.pco.de/highspeed-cameras/pcodimax-hs4/. Accessed 29 April 2019
- 12.Weitkamp T, Scheel M, Giorgetta JL, Joyet V, Le Roux V, Cauchon G, Moreno T, Polack F, Samama JP (2017) The tomography beamline ANATOMIX at Synchrotron SOLEIL. In: IOP conference series: journal of physics conference series, vol 849, p 012037. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/849/1/012037
- 21.Kak AC, Slaney M (1988) Principles of computerized tomographic imaging. IEEE PressGoogle Scholar