Synthesis of Y3Al5O12:Eu and Y3Al5O12:Eu,Si phosphors by combustion method: Comparative investigations on the structural and spectral properties
- 444 Downloads
This paper reports the comparative investigations of the structural and spectral properties of Y3Al5O12:Eu3+ (YAG:Eu) and Y3Al5O12:Eu3+,Si4+ (YAG:Eu,Si) phosphors synthesized by combustion method at low temperature. A pure phase was identified for the YAG:Eu phosphor with a suitable amount of SiO2. Rietveld refinement and analytical calculation of different structural parameters were performed to get the idea about the SiO2 substitution in YAG:Eu. The characteristic red luminescence corresponding to Eu3+ transitions was observed after irradiation with ultra violet (UV) light and enhanced with SiO2 addition. Jorgensen formula and nephelauxetic ratio were used to understand the ligand behavior of Eu–O bond in YAG doped phosphor. The Judd–Ofelt intensity parameters and color properties of the phosphors were determined in detail. An efficient synthesis method for YAG:Eu phosphor, compatible for industrial applications, was proposed.
Keywordsyttrium aluminum garnet (Y3Al5O12 YAG) light emitting diode (LED) red phosphor combustion synthesis
- Scherrer P. Bestimmung der Grösse und der inneren Struktur von Kolloidteilchen mittels Röntgensrahlen (determination of the size and internal structure of colloidal particles using X-rays). Nachr Ges Wiss Goettingen Math-Phys Kl 1918: 98–100. (in German)Google Scholar
- Cullity BD. Elements of X-ray Diffraction. Reading, Massachusetts, USA: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1956.Google Scholar
- Crystal Impact. Match! Available at http://www.crystalimpact.com/match/download.htm.Google Scholar
- Galasso FS. Structure and Properties of Inorganic Solids: International Series of Monographs in Solid State Physics. New York: Pergamon, 1970: 244.Google Scholar
- Sathyanarayana DN. Electronic Absorption Spectroscopy and Related Techniques. New Delhi, India: Universities Press India Limited, 2001: 109.Google Scholar
- Jorgensen C. Orbitals in Atoms and Molecules. London: Academic Press, 1962.Google Scholar
Open Access The articles published in this journal are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.