Determination of fracture toughness using the area of micro-crack tracks left in brittle materials by Vickers indentation test
In this article, a new method has been presented for the estimation of fracture toughness in brittle materials, which enjoys improved accuracy and reduced costs associated with fracture toughness testing procedure compared to similar previous methods, because a vast range of specimens with irregular cracks can be accommodated for testing. Micron-sized alumina powders containing 0.05 wt% magnesium oxide (MgO) nanoparticles were mixed and also together with 2.5 vol%, 5 vol%, 7.5 vol%, 10 vol%, and 15 vol% of silicon carbide (SiC) nanopowders separately. By making and testing various types of ceramics with different mechanical properties, and considering the irregular cracks around the indented area caused by Vickers diamond indenter, a semi-empirical fracture toughness equation has been obtained.
Keywordsfracture toughness mechanical properties nanocomposites indentation
- Miyazaki H, Hyuga H, Hirao K, et al. Comparison of fracture resistance as measured by the indentation fracture method and fracture toughness determined by the single-edge-precracked beam technique using silicon nitrides with different microstructures. J Eur Ceram Soc 2007, 27: 2347–2354.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Palmqvist S. Indentation hardness and fracture toughness in single crystal. Jernkontorets Ann 1957, 141: 300–306.Google Scholar
- Palmqvist S. Energy causing cracks at corners of Vickers indentations as measure of toughness of hard metals. Archiv fuer das Eisenhuettenwes 1962, 33: 629–634.Google Scholar
- Bamzai KK, Kotru PN, Wanklyn BM. Fracture mechanics, crack propagation and microhardness studies on flux grown ErAlO3 single crystals. J Mater Sci Technol 2000, 16: 405–410.Google Scholar
- Japanese Standards Association. J IS R-1607. Testing method for fracture toughness of high performance ceramics. 1990.Google Scholar
- ASTM International. ASTM C1327-08. Standard test method for Vickers indentation hardness of advanced ceramics.Google Scholar
- ASTM International. ASTM C769-98. Standard test method for sonic velocity in manufactured carbon and graphite materials for use in obtaining an approximate Young’s modulus.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 International License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.