Global Outreach for U.S. Radiology Training Programs
- 19 Downloads
Purpose of Review
Utilization of medical imaging is increasing in the developing world, creating new opportunities for U.S. radiology training programs to establish international electives for interested faculty and residents. Though the nature of each initiative will vary, the process of creating a global outreach elective involves core elements.
Development of a sustainable and impactful global elective requires forethought and planning, including abiding by regulations from governing bodies and preparation for practicing in a culturally different and often resource-limited environment.
This article will provide a summary of requirements for creating and sustaining a global outreach elective and provide ideas and resources for overcoming common roadblocks.
KeywordsGlobal health International elective Radiology residency
Recently published papers of particular interest have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 2.World Health Organization. Essential diagnostic imaging. https://web.archive.org/web/20121023154427/http://www.who.int/eht/en/DiagnosticImaging.pdf. Accessed January 14, 2019.
- 6.∙∙ Guidelines for International Rotations in Radiology Residency. https://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramResources/420_Guidelines_for_IntlRotations_in_DiagRad.pdf?ver=2015-11-06-120650-973. Accessed February 12, 2019. These guidelines need to be followed for all international electives.
- 11.ACR International Outreach. https://www.acr.org/Member-Resources/Volunteer/international-outreach. Accessed February 13, 2019.
- 12.RAD-AID Program Overview. https://www.rad-aid.org/programs/. Accessed February 13, 2019.
- 13.∙ Wood et al. Global health imaging curriculum in radiology residency programs: the fundamentals. JACR 2014; 11(10)968–73. Nice overview of curriculum development for international electives. Google Scholar
- 14.CMS Direct Graduate Medical Education. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS/dgme.html. Accessed February 12, 2019.
- 17.ACR Goldberg-Reeder Resident Travel Grant. https://www.acr.org/Member-Resources/rfs/fellowships/Goldberg-Reeder-Travel-Grant. Accessed February 13, 2019.
- 18.ACGME Diagnostic Radiology Milestone Project. https://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PDFs/Milestones/DiagnosticRadiologyMilestones.pdf?ver=2015-11-06-120532-380. Accessed February 13, 2019.