PET Imaging of Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- 21 Downloads
Purpose of Review
Positron emission tomography has not traditionally played a major role in the evaluation of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Owing to high background liver uptake and molecular mechanisms within HCC lesions, uptake of 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) is variable and prior studies have shown only modest overall detection of intrahepatic disease.
Tracers such as 18F- and 11C-choline as well as 11C-acetate have been explored either in isolation or together with 18F-FDG have shown greater promise in detection of intrahepatic lesions, but yet are not in widespread clinical use. 68 Ga-Prostate specific membrane antigen is a tracer developed for use in prostate cancer but a pilot study and several case reports have indicated that there may be the potential for use in the evaluation of HCC.
Increased rates of lesion detection using 18F-FDG may be seen in poorly differentiated tumors and in the setting of metastatic disease or within recurrent tumor following loco-regional therapies and FDG uptake may indicate a greater risk of recurrence following transplantation. Further work will be required to elucidate the precise role of other non FDG tracers in the evaluation of patients at risk for or with HCC.
KeywordsHepatocellular carcinoma PET FDG Choline PSMA Acetate
Recently published papers of particular interest have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 1.Global Cancer Observatory. http://globocan.iarc.fr/Default.aspx (2018). Accessed 25 Jan 2019.
- 7.Wald C, et al. New OPTN/UNOS policy for liver transplant allocation: standardization of liver imaging, diagnosis, classification, and reporting of hepatocellular carcinoma. Oak Brook: Radiological Society of North America Inc.; 2013.Google Scholar
- 22.• Huang HL, Zhen Loh TJ, Hoe Chow PK. A case of well-differentiated hepatocellular carcinoma identified on gallium-68 prostate-specific membrane antigen positron emission tomography/computed tomography. World J Nucl Med. 2018;17(2):102–05. Case reports demonstrating focal 68 Ga-PSMA uptake in HCC.Google Scholar
- 23.• Sasikumar A, et al. 68 Ga-PSMA PET/CT imaging in primary hepatocellular carcinoma. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2016;43(4):795–96. Case reports demonstrating focal 68 Ga-PSMA uptake in HCC.Google Scholar
- 24.•• Kesler M, et al. (68)Ga-PSMA is a novel PET-CT tracer for imaging of hepatocellular carcinoma: a prospective pilot study. J Nucl Med 2018. Pilot study demonstrating high sensitivity for HCC using 68 Ga-PSMA.Google Scholar