Potential Influence of Metro on Bus: A Case Study
- 51 Downloads
A modal shift occurs when one mode of transport has a comparative advantage in a similar market over another. The present work concerns with the development of modal shift model for urban travel in Chennai, India. The modal shift model was calibrated using binary logit technique and validated using hold-out sample method. The validated model was used to predict the probability of shift in selected corridor. The recent introduction of metro rail in Chennai has lead to an increasing competition among public transport modes. To study the influence of metro on bus transport, a Stated Preference (SP) survey was conducted among express bus travellers. Using the SP survey data, a modal shift model was calibrated to estimate the plausible shift from bus to metro. Results indicate that variables like fare-difference, age, and income play an important role in the shift behaviour. When metro fare increases with respect to express bus fare, bus passengers are less willing to use metro and vice-versa.
KeywordsModal shift Stated Preference Metro rail Bus transport Chennai
The effort furnished in this paper is a project work performed by Department of Civil Engineering, Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering (S.V.C.E.)—Sriperumbudur, Kanchipuram, India.
- 1.L.R. Kadiyali, Traffic Engineering and Transport Planning, 7th edn. (Khanna Publishers, New Delhi, 2010), pp. 411–483Google Scholar
- 2.State Transport Authority, Government of Tamil Nadu, www.tn.gov.in/sta/eng%20cc/REG.html. Accessed on 20 June 2016
- 3.Chennai Metro Rail Limited (2016), http://chennaimetrorail.gov.in/project.php. Accessed on 1 Feb 2016
- 4.Greater Chennai Corporation, Government of Tamil Nadu, www.chennaicorporation.gov.in. Accessed on 26 Feb 2016
- 5.P.H. Wright, N.J. Ashford, Transportation Engineerins: Planning and Design, 3rd edn. (Wiley, New York, 1989), p. 315Google Scholar
- 7.M.L. Bernson et al., Applied Statistics: A First Course (Prentice-Hall Inc, Boston, 1988), pp. 6–27Google Scholar