Multi-input and multi-output SOI (MIMO-SOI) platform for silicon photonics
- 179 Downloads
We have proposed and demonstrated a method for the fabrication of a SOI platform with custom-design device layer thickness (<1 μm) which can be accessed by any desired number of adiabatically tapered single-mode input/output waveguides (multi-input multi-output waveguides) of widths and heights >1 μm, operating at λ ~ 1550 nm. The input/output waveguides can be pigtailed with standard single-mode fiber with lensed tip ensuring modal overlap of >70% (coupling loss <1.5 dB). Such a multi-input multi-output SOI platform will facilitate for CMOS silicon photonics based on-chip applications with an additional usage freedom of device layer thickness. Moreover, it can be potentially used to design SOI based stand-alone devices which can be useful at transmitters/repeaters for short-haul/long-haul optical communication.
KeywordsSilicon photonics platform Spot size converters Optical interconnects Integrated optoelectronics
This work is being pursued with in the scope of silicon photonics research activities at the Centre for NEMS and Nanophotonics (CNNP), IIT Madras; funded by MeitY, Govt. of India. The authors also gratefully acknowledge MeitY for the research fellowship to Ramesh K. Gupta under Visvesvaraya PhD scheme.
- 7.Andreani LC, Gerace D, Passoni M, Bozzola A, Carroll L (2016) Optimizing grating couplers for silicon photonics. In: Transparent optical networks (ICTON), 2016 18th international conference on IEEE, pp 1–4Google Scholar
- 11.Wang J, Xuan Yi, Lee C, Niu B, Liu L, Liu GN, Qi Mi (2016) Low-loss and misalignment-tolerant fiber-to-chip edge coupler based on double-tip inverse tapers. In: Optical fiber communication conference. Optical Society of America, pp M2I–6.Google Scholar
- 13.Chandran S, Sundaram SM, Das BK (2015) Method and apparatus for modifying dimensions of a waveguide. Patent filed (Indian Patent, 3799/CHE/2015, US Patent, 15/218,300)Google Scholar
- 14.Urino Y, Shimizu T, Okano M, Hatori N, Ishizaka M, Yamamoto T, Baba T, Akagawa T, Akiyama S, Usuki T et al (2011) First demonstration of high density optical interconnects integrated with lasers, optical modulators, and photodetectors on single silicon substrate. Opt Express 19(26):B159–B165CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Hayakawa A, Ebe H, Chen Y, Mori T (2016) silicon photonics optical transceiver for high-speed, high-density and low-power lsi interconnect. Fujitsu Sci Tech J 52(1):19–26Google Scholar