Moving Magnet Linear Actuator for Active Vibration Control
- 102 Downloads
Devices for automotive noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) control have been on the market for several years. More recent developments focus on active engine mounts or active absorbers with electrodynamic actuators as efficient solutions. Moving Magnet Technologies (MMT) has developed an electromagnetic actuator, whose benefits are discussed and compared with existing solutions in the context of this application.
Active Vibration Control in the Automotive Industry
Driven by the need for fuel economy and emission restrictions, OEMs have put emphasis on different strategies which allow effective improvements in that field, such as engine downsizing, cylinder deactivation, start/stop system or hybridisation. But these new applications result in significant changes in the number of NVH occurrences, as well as in frequencies and amplitudes of vibrations generated by the engine. Therefore, vibration and noise characterisation and cancellation have become a key topic for the automotive...
KeywordsMagnetic Circuit Active Vibration Control Electromagnetic Actuator Active Engine Magnet Mass
The authors would like to thank Baptiste Marechal, internship engineer student from the Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Mécanique et des Microtechniques, in Besançon (France) for his works on the demonstrator and dynamic control of the actuators.
- N.N.: 3rd International ATZ Conference Automotive Acoustics, Zurich, Switzerland, 2015Google Scholar
- Bierman, J. W.; Fortino, A.; Reke, M.; Bakirdogen, U.: Active Vibration Control By Electro-Active Polymers. In: ATZworldwide 115 (2013) No. 7–8, pp. 10–14Google Scholar
- Kraus, R.; Herold, S.; Millitzer, J.; Jungblut, T.: Development of Active Engine Mounts Based on Piezo Actuators. In: ATZworldwide 116 (2014), No. 1, pp. 46–51Google Scholar
- Karkosch, H.J.; Marienfeld, P.M.: Active Vibration Control — Enabler for Fuel Efficient Drives. Conference Actuator, Bremen, 2014Google Scholar
- Römling, S.; Vollmann, S.; Kolkhorst, T.: Active Engine Mount System in the New Audi S8. In: MTZworldwide 74 (2013), No. 1, pp. 34–38Google Scholar
- Kruse, E.; Harrison, A.: Active Vibration Control Technology for Electric Vehicles with Range Extender. In: ATZworldwide 117 (2015), No. 6, pp. 14–19Google Scholar
- European patent application EP2678924Google Scholar
- N.N.: MMT TechDays, Besançon, France, and IAA, Frankfurt, 2015Google Scholar