Expression of IFN-γ induced by CpG-DNA stimulation in a human myeloid leukemia cell line KG-1
- 76 Downloads
CpG-DNA has potent immunostimulatory effects to induce expression of cytokines and chemokines in macrophages, dendritic cells, and B cells. KG-1 is a human myeloid leukemia cell line used as an in vitro model system for dendritic cell differentiation. Here, we investigated effect of CpG-DNA on IFN-γ expression in KG-1 cells. Based on the mRNA and protein expression, stimulation of KG-1 cells with the phosphorothioated form of CpG-DNA induced expression of IFN-γ. The IFN-γ promoter includes one NF-κB binding site and two AP-1 binding sites. Induction of IFN-γ was markedly reduced in the presence of NF-κB, p38, and MEK1 inhibitors. Furthermore, AP-1 was found to interact with both of the two binding sites in the IFN-γ promoter. Therefore, we conclude that CpG-DNA induced activation of NF-κB and AP-1 leads to induction of IFN-γ, which may further contribute to immunostimulatory activity of CpG-DNA.
KeywordsAP-1 CpG-DNA IFN-γ NF-κB promoter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ballas ZK, Krieg AM, Warren T, Rasmussen W, Davis HL, Waldschmidt M et al. (2001) Divergent therapeutic and immunologic effects of oligodeoxynucleotides with distinct CpG motifs. J Immunol 167, 4878–4886.Google Scholar
- Dasari V, Smith C, Zhong J, Scott G, Rawlinson W, and Khanna R (2011) Recombinant glycoprotein B vaccine formulation with Toll-like receptor 9 agonist and immune-stimulating complex induces specific immunity against multiple strains of cytomegalovirus. J Gen Virol 92, 1021–1031.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Faggioni R, Cattley RC, Guo J, Flores S, Brown H, Qi M et al. (2001) IL-18-binding protein protects against lipopolysaccharide-induced lethality and prevents the development of Fas/Fas ligand-mediated models of liver disease in mice. J Immunol 167, 5913–5920.Google Scholar
- Hashimoto W, Osaki T, Okamura H, Robbins PD, Kurimoto M, Nagata S et al. (1999) Differential antitumor effects of administration of recombinant IL-18 or recombinant IL-12 are mediated primarily by Fas-Fas ligandand perforin-induced tumor apoptosis, respectively. J Immunol 163, 583–589.Google Scholar
- Krieg AM, Love-Homan L, Yi AK, and Harty JT (1998) CpG DNA induces sustained IL-12 expression in vivo and resistance to Listeria monocytogenes challenge. J Immunol 161, 2428–2434.Google Scholar
- Kuchtey J, Chefalo PJ, Gray RC, Ramachandra L, and Harding CV (2005) Enhancement of dendritic cell antigen cross-presentation by CpG DNA involves type I IFN and stabilization of class I MHC mRNA. J Immunol 175, 2244–2251.Google Scholar
- Vollmer J, Jurk M, Samulowitz U, Lipford G, Forsbach A, Wullner M et al. (2004) CpG oligodeoxynucleotides stimulate IFN-gamma-inducible protein-10 production in human B cells. J Endotoxin Res 10, 431–438.Google Scholar
- Walker PS, Scharton-Kersten T, Krieg AM, Love-Homan L, Rowton ED, Udey MC et al. (1999) Immunostimulatory oligodeoxynucleotides promote protective immunity and provide systemic therapy for leishmaniasis via IL-12- and IFN-gamma-dependent mechanisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96, 6970–6975.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yasuda K, Yu P, Kirschning CJ, Schlatter B, Schmitz F, Heit A et al. (2005) Endosomal translocation of vertebrate DNA activates dendritic cells via TLR9-dependent and -independent pathways. J Immunol 174, 6129–6136.Google Scholar