Dental caries diagnosis in digital radiographs using back-propagation neural network
An algorithm for diagnostic system with neural network is developed for diagnosis of dental caries in digital radiographs. The diagnostic performance of the designed system is evaluated.
The diagnostic system comprises of Laplacian filtering, window based adaptive threshold, morphological operations, statistical feature extraction and back-propagation neural network. The back propagation neural network used to classify a tooth surface as normal or having dental caries. The 105 images derived from intra-oral digital radiography, are used to train an artificial neural network with 10-fold cross validation. The caries in these dental radiographs are annotated by a dentist. The performance of the diagnostic algorithm is evaluated and compared with baseline methods.
The system gives an accuracy of 97.1%, false positive (FP) rate of 2.8%, receiver operating characteristic (ROC) area of 0.987 and precision recall curve (PRC) area of 0.987 with learning rate of 0.4, momentum of 0.2 and 500 iterations with single hidden layer with 9 nodes.
This study suggests that dental caries can be predicted more accurately with back-propagation neural network. There is a need for improving the system for classification of caries depth. More improved algorithms and high quantity and high quality datasets may give still better tooth decay detection in clinical dental practice.
KeywordsComputer assisted diagnosis Dental caries Machine learning Back propagation neural network
Authors would like to thank Dr. R. Gowramma, Principal, S.J.M. Dental College, Chitradurga for providing the datasets used in this research.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Beltran-Aguilar ED, Barker LK, Canto MT, Dye BA, Gooch BF, Griffin SO. Survellance for dental caries, dental sealants, tooth retention, edentulism and enamel fluorosis-United States, 1988-1994 and 1999-2002. MMWR Surveill. Summ. 2005;54:1–43.Google Scholar
- 4.Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) (1999–2002).Google Scholar
- 6.Olsen GF, Brilliant SS, Primeaux D, Najarian K. An image processing enabled dental caries detection system. In: Proceedings of the 2009 ICME international conference on complex medical engineering; 2009. pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- 11.Pedro HML, Gilson AG, Luiz APN: Using the mathematical morphology and shape matching for automatic data extraction in dental X-ray images. In: Proceedings of the workshop of computer vision; 2009.Google Scholar
- 16.Hagan MT, Demuth HB, Beale M. Neural network design. Boston: PWS Publishing; 1995.Google Scholar
- 19.Mendonca EA. Clinical decision support systems perspectives in dentistry. J Dent Educ. 2004;68:589–97.Google Scholar
- 20.SenthilKumaran N. Edge detection for dental x-ray image segmentation using neural network approach. Int J Comput Sci Appl (TIJCSA). 2012;1(7):8–13.Google Scholar
- 21.SenthilKumaran N. Genetic algorithm approach to edge detection for dental x-ray image segmentation. Int J Adv Res Comput Sci Electron Eng (IJARCSEE). 2012;1(7):179–82.Google Scholar
- 22.Yang Y, Yun L, Yu-Jing L, Jian-Ming W, Dong-Hui L, We-Ping Y: Tooth decay diagnosis using back propagation neural network. In: Proceedings of 2006 international conference on machine learning and cybernetics; IEEE Press; 2006. pp. 3956–3959.Google Scholar
- 23.Ainas AA, Hazem ME, Sameh A. Detection of caries in panoramic dental X-ray images using back-propagation neural network. Int J Electron Commun Comput Eng. 2016;7(5):250–6.Google Scholar
- 24.Geetha V, Aprameya KS. Analysis of image segmentation techniques for diagnosis of dental caries in X-ray images. World Acad Sci Eng Technol. 2019;13(2):30–3.Google Scholar
- 25.Geetha V, Aprameya KS. Textural analysis based classification of digital X-ray images for dental caries diagnosis. Int J Eng Manuf (IJEM). 2019;9(3):44–5.Google Scholar
- 26.Cong H, Richard D: Artificial neural networks optimization for machining of cast and forged components. In: Proceedings of the sixth international conference on manufacturing engineering, Melbouirne VIC Australia; 1995. pp. 353–357.Google Scholar
- 28.Singh P, Sehgal: Automated caries detection based on Radon transformation and DCT. In: Proceedings of the 8th international conference on computing, communication and networking technologies; 2017. pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 29.Li W, Kuang W, Li Y, Li YJ, Ye WP: Clinical X-ray image based tooth decay diagnosis using SVM. In: Proceedings of international conference on machine learning and cybernetics; 2007. pp. 1616–1619.Google Scholar
- 30.Prajapati SA, Nagaraj R, Suman M: Classification of dental diseases using CNN and transfer learning. In: Proceedings of the 5th international symposium on computational and business intelligence; 2017. pp. 70–74.Google Scholar