The 2011 eastern Japan great earthquake disaster: Overview and comments
- 21k Downloads
This article briefly reviews the causes and impacts of the massive eastern Japan earthquake and tsunami of 11 March 2011, and comments on the response measures taken by Japan to cope with this devastating disaster. Mass losses occurred mostly because the intensity of the quake and the induced tsunami exceeded local coping capacity. Particularly, the nuclear power plant crisis triggered by the tsunami significantly increased the short- and long-term impacts of the disaster. While the coping capacity Japanese society built after the 1995 Hanshin-Awaji great earthquake tremendously mitigated the damages, there is room for improvement despite Japan’s great efforts in this disaster. Investigating the tsunami preparedness of the coastal nuclear power plants is an issue of paramount importance. In response to future large-scale disasters, there is an urgent need for a highly collaborative framework based on which all available resources could be mobilized; a mutual assistance and rescue system against catastrophes among regions and countries on the basis of international humanitarian aid; and further in-depth research on the multi-hazard and disaster-chain phenomenon in large-scale disasters and corresponding governance approaches.
Keywords2011 Eastern Japan Earthquake earthquake-tsunami disaster chain Fukushima nuclear crisis impact and response
- The Aviation Herald. 2011. Tsunami Rolls through Pacific, Sendai Airport under Water, Tokyo Narita Closed, Pacific Region Airports Endangered. March 11. http://avherald.com/h?article=43928907&opt=0.
- BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation). 2011. Yen Hits Record-High against US Dollar as Nikkei Falls. March 17. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12768098.
- Cabinet Office, Government of Japan. 2011. On the Estimation of Loss of the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake (東日本大震災に被害額被推計て). http://www.bousai.go.jp/oshirase/h23/110624-1kisya.pdf.
- CBS News. 2011. Earth’s Day Length Shortened by Japan Earthquake. March 13. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/13/scitech/main20042590.shtml.
- Chai, C. 2011. Japan’s Quake Shifts Earth’s Axis by 25 Centimetres. Montreal Gazette (Postmedia News), March 11. http://www.webcitation.org/5x95t0CLU.
- Chang, K. 2011. Quake Moves Japan Closer to U.S. and Alters Earth’s Spin. The New York Times, March 13. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/world/asia/14seismic.html.
- CNBC. 2011. Treasuries-Surge Following Nikkei Plunge. March 15. http://www.cnbc.com/id/42085204.
- CNN (Cable News Network). 2011. Nuclear Reactors Melted down after Quake, Japan Confirms. June 6. http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/06/06/japan.nuclear.meltdown/index.html?hpt=hp_t2.
- Earthquake Survey Committee, Japan. 2011. Long-Term Evaluation of Earthquake Origins from Sanriku-Oki to Bousou-Oki. http://www.jishin.go.jp/main/chousa/11mar_sanriku-oki/p09.htm.
- The Guardian. 2011. Japan Disaster: Reconstruction Effort Puts Town on Road to Recovery. March 24. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/24/japan-disaster-reconstruction-road-recovery.
- IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency). 2011. Fukushima Nuclear Accident Update Log. http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/tsunamiupdate01.html.
- Japan Meteorological Agency. 2011. The 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake Distribution of JMA Seismic Intensity. http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/en/2011_Earthquake/2011_Earthquake_Intensity.pdf.
- Japan Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. 2011. Economic Impact of the Great East Japan Earthquake and Current Status of Recovery. May 17. http://www.meti.go.jp/english/earthquake/recovery/index.html.
- Japan National Police Agency. 2011. Damage and Police Responses to the Northeast Pacific Earthquake [平成23年(2011年)東北地方太平洋沖地震の被害状況と警察措置]. April 13. http://www.npa.go.jp/archive/keibi/biki/index.htm.
- Japan Times. 2011. Utilities’ Monopoly on Power Backfires. March 30. http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110330a4.html.
- JMRI (Japan Meteorological Research Institute). 2011. Estimation of the Tsunami Wave Source Zone of the 2011 Eastern Japan Great Earthquake [平成23年(2011年) 東北地方太平洋沖地震の津波波源域の推定] http://www.mri-jma.go.jp/Topics/press/20110324/press20110324.pdf.
- Kucera, D. 2011. Reinsurers Decline as Japan Quake, Tsunami May Cause $10 Billion in Claims. Bloomberg, March 11. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-11/european-reinsurers-fall-leading-u-s-carrierslower-on-quake.html.
- Kyodo News. 2011. 38-Meter-High Tsunami Triggered by March 11 Quake: Survey. April 3. http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/04/82888.html.
- Martin, A. 2011. Farmers Struggle amid Tsunami aftermath. Japan Times, April 8, 3.Google Scholar
- Mainichi Daily News (Tokyo). 2011. Toyota, other Automakers to Suspend Production at all Domestic Plants. March 13. http://www.webcitation.org/5x9RsDbNC.
- Nebehay, S. 2011. Japan Requests Foreign Rescue Teams, UN Says. Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/11/us-japan-quake-aid-refile-idUSTRE72A71320110311.
- NHK World (Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai — Japan Broadcasting Corporation). 2011. 190,000 Buildings Damaged by March 11 Quake. April 3. http://www.japan.org/archives/1304.
- Nihon Keizai Shimbun (Japan Economic Times). 2011. 90 Percent of Major Transport Networks back in Operation. March 29. http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110328D28JFF01.htm.
- The Nikkei. 2011. Power Outage to Deal Further Blows to Industrial Output. March 14. http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110313D13JFF08.htm.
- NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). 2011. Japan Tsunami Wave Heights. http://sos.noaa.gov/datasets/Ocean/japan_quake_tsunami.html.
- Pagano, M. 2011. Japan Looks for Market Stability after Quake. The Independent, March 13. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/japan-looks-for-market-stability-after-quake-2240323.html.
- Port and Airport Research Institute. 2011. The Situation of Damage of Ports in Tohoku Region (Site Survey) (2011 TŌhoku Earthquake and Tsunami) [東北地方の港湾に被災状況て (現地調査速報)]. March 23. http://www.pari.go.jp/information/20110311/p20110323.html (in Japanese).
- Reuters. 2011. Japan Earthquake: Market Reaction. March 11. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/8375674/Japan-earthquake-marketreaction.html.
- Shi, P. J., L. Y. Liu, J. A. Wang, W. Xu, W. H. Fang, and M. Wang. 2009. Experiences and Lessons of Large-Scale Disaster Governance in China: Perspective to the Response of Wenchuan Earthquake Disaster. Paper presented at the International Human Dimensions Program (IHDP) 2009 Open Meeting, 26–30 April 2009, Bonn, Germany.Google Scholar
- TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company). 2011a. Reactor Core Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 1. May 15. http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/betu11_e/images/110515e10.pdf.
- —. 2011b. Status of Cores at Units 2 and 3 in Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. May 23. http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/betu11_e/images/110524e14.pdf.
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) Earthquake Hazards Program. 2011a. USGS Energy and Broadband Solution near east coast of Honshu, Japan. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2011/usc0001xgp/neic_c0001xgp_e.php.
- —. 2011b. USGS WPhase Moment Solution Near East Coast of Honshu, Japan. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2011/usc0001xgp/neic_c0001xgp_wmt.php.
- Wearden, G. 2011. Bank of Japan Pumps Billions into Financial Markets. The Guardian, March 14. http://www.webcitation.org/5xDFjXIOU.
- Wikipedia. 2011. File: Map of Humanitarian Support to the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake.svg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_humanitarian_support_to_the_Great_Eastern_Japan_Earthquake.svg.
- Xinhuanet. 2011. Flood Risks Increase in Japan’s Quake Areas. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-03/18/c_13786573.htm.
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits any use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.