Mesopores variation in polyacrylonitrile fibers during dry-jet wet spinning process
- 16 Downloads
The mesopore structures in polyacrylonitrile (PAN) fibers during dry-jet wet spinning process were investigated by high-resolution transmission electron microscopy (HRTEM) and image analysis utilizing the ultrathin section technique. The morphologies and dimension distribution of the mesopores in the surface and core regions of the nascent fibers and PAN fibers are presented. All fibers exhibited lamellar-like structures perpendicular to the fiber axis and the mesopores were distributed between the lamellae. For nascent fibers, the size and volume of the mesopores increased with increasing air gap and decreased with increasing drawing ratio. In addition, the widths of the mesopores were larger than their lengths. Consequently, the size and content of the mesopores in nascent fibers could be adjusted by controlling coagulation conditions. During the post-spinning process, the size and volume of the mesopores in PAN fibers decreased efficiently by hot drawing in a hot water washing bath, in hot steam chambers or on hot rollers. Moreover, the lengths of the mesopores were larger than their widths. In all fiber samples, the number and size of the mesopores in the core region were larger than those in the surface region. In addition, the mechanical properties of fibers were correlated with dimension of the mesopores. Their tensile strength increased with decreasing mesopore widths and lengths.
KeywordsPAN fiber Nascent fiber Mesopore Ultrathin section Mechanical properties
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation, China (Grant nos. 51773110 and 51573087) and the Natural Science Foundation of Shandong Province, China (Grant nos. ZR2016EMM16 and ZR2018BEM036).
- 5.Kaur J, Millington K, Smith S (2016) Producing high-quality precursor polymer and fibers to achieve theoretical strength in carbon fibers: a review. J Appl Polym Sci 133:43963Google Scholar
- 11.Arbab S, Mohammadi N, Noorpanah P (2008) Designing index of void structure and tensile modulus in wet-spun poly(acrylonitrile) proto-fibres. Part II: synergistic effect of dope non-solvent concentration and jet draw ratio. Iran Polym J 17:227–235Google Scholar
- 14.Arbab S, Mohammadi N, Noorpanah P (2008) The synergistic effect of dope concentration and jet-drawing on structure development of wet-spun poly(acrylonitrile). e-Polymers 80:1–11Google Scholar
- 21.WangF WangS (2010) Characterization on pore size of honeycomb-patterned micro-porous PET fibers using image processing techniques. Ind Text 61:66–69Google Scholar
- 30.Shin KA, Park S, Nguyen HTB, Lee JH, Lee S, Joh HI, Jo SM (2018) Investigation into the gelation of polyacrylonitrile solution induced by dry-jet in spinning process and its effects on diffusional process in coagulation and structural properties of carbon fibers. Macromol Res 26:544–551CrossRefGoogle Scholar