Undiluted Recycling of Aluminum Scrap Alloy Using Hume-Rothery’s Rule
A new concept of an undiluted recycling of aluminum alloy containing high-Fe impurity has been proposed and discussed herein. The primary objective of this concept is to avoid the conventional addition of virgin aluminum, to the aluminum scrap for lowering the concentration of Fe impurity. Results have shown that the Al5FeSi (β-phase) can be suppressed with minor alloying additions of some elements as per Hume-Rothery’s criteria for solid solubility. The proposed concept has been validated by Stirling’s approximation method.
KeywordsRecycling Aluminum alloy Microstructure Solidification Metallurgy Intermetallic alloys and compounds
The corresponding author is also highly thankful to KBM Affilips BV (the Netherlands), for their sponsorship of inoculant master alloy, and Malaysian Aluminium Alloys Company (Malaysia), for sponsoring the recycled automotive recycled alloy used in the present work. Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Malaysia, and Universiti Malaysia Pahang are also highly acknowledged for funding the present work through the FRGS and UMP Research Grants (RDU140113 and RDU140363).
- 3.J.A.S. Green, Aluminum Recycling and Processing for Energy Conservation and Sustainability (ASM International, Materials Park, 2007)Google Scholar
- 9.N.A. Belov, A.A. Aksenov, D.G. Eskin, Iron in Aluminium Alloys: Impurity and Alloying Element (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2002). ISBN 9780415273527Google Scholar
- 10.J.J. Moore, Recycling of non-ferrous metals. Int. Met. Rev. 234(52), 241–264 (1978)Google Scholar
- 13.A.H. Maitland, D. Rodriguez, Vanadium in aluminium, in Proceedings of the 8th International Light Metals Congress, pp. 423–425 (1987)Google Scholar
- 14.T.H. Ludwig, P.L. Schaffer, L. Arnberg, Influence of vanadium on the microstructure of A356 foundry alloy, in Light Metals TMS, ed. by B. Sadler (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, Pittsburgh, 2013), pp. 1023–1028Google Scholar
- 17.O. Kubaschewski, C.B. Alcock, Metallurgical Thermochemistry, Vol. 4, International Series on Materials Science and Technology, 5th edn. (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1989). ISBN 0-02-946212-6Google Scholar
- 18.B.S. Murty, J.W. Yeh, S. Ranganathan, High Entropy Alloys (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2014). ISBN 978-0-12-800251-3Google Scholar