Variation of ankle biomechanical property according to vibro-perception threshold and vibration frequency
- 69 Downloads
The purpose of this study was to investigate the biomechanics according to vibro-perception threshold and vibration frequency during gait.
To this end, the vibro-perception threshold by the vibration frequency was measured and vibration was applied based on these findings during gait. To analyze the biomechanical property variations in the ankle joints during gait, a three-dimensional movement analysis system and biomechanical software was used. We analyzed the angles, moment and power of the ankle joints.
The vibro-perception threshold measurement showed that the perception threshold differed depending on the area of stimulation and vibration frequency. The variations in biomechanical properties due to stimulation of the subperception threshold intensity (80%) was similar to those at the perception threshold. Also, the variations in biomechanical properties due to stimulation were dependent on the vibration frequency.
This indicates that vibratory stimulation could trigger variations in biomechanical properties in a manner dependent on the characteristics of the vibratory stimulation.
KeywordsSomatosensory Vibration Biomechanics Gait Perception threshold Postural control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kim UC, Jang SJ, Park MY, Park SW. Prognostic factors of ambulation in stroke patients. J Kor Acad Rehab Med. 1992; 16(4):443–51.Google Scholar
- Lee HS, Choi HS, Kwon OY. A literature review on balance control factors. Phys Ther Kor. 1996; 3(3):82–91.Google Scholar
- Mazzeo RS, Cavanagh P, Evans WJ, Fiatarone M, Hagberg J, McAuley E, Startzell J. ACSM position stand on exercise and physical activity for older adults. Med Sci Sport Exer. 1998; 30(6):992–1008.Google Scholar
- Lee SY, Yu M, Kim DW, Kim NG. Effects of postural stability using electrical stimulation on the lower limb. J Biomed Eng Res. 2009; 30(3):255–62.Google Scholar
- Lee SY, Yu M, Kim NG, Kim DW. Evaluation of postural stability according to characteristics of electrical stimulation on the ankle muscles. J Biomed Eng Res. 2009; 30(6):521–8.Google Scholar
- Bongiovanni LG, Hagbarth KE. Tonic vibration reflexes elicited during fatigue from maximal voluntary contractions in man. 1990; 423:1–14.Google Scholar
- Yu M, Eun HI, Kim DW, Kwon TK, Kim NG. Effects of vibratory stimulus on postural balance control during standing on a stable and an unstable support. J Biomed Eng Res. 2007; 28(5):647–56.Google Scholar
- Eun HI, Yu M, Kim DW, Kwon TK, Kim NG. The effects of human lower limb vibration on postural stability during unstable posture. J Biomed Eng Res. 2007; 28(5):628–35.Google Scholar
- So HJ, Kim SH, Kim DW. A study on the changes in gait characteristics by applying sub-threshold vibration stimulus in the ankle. J Vibroeng. 2014; 16(7):3331–9.Google Scholar
- So HJ, Kim SH, Kim DW. The effects of application site and time of vibration stimulation: changes in gait pattern and muscle activity. Appl Mech Mater. 2014; 479-80:475–9.Google Scholar
- Samsung electro-mechanics Co. Ltd. Specification for approval. Suwon. Samsung electro-mechanics Co., Ltd; 2012. http://www.samsungsem.com/kr/. Accessed 16 Feb 2016.Google Scholar
- Dagatron,corp. EC21 e-book for product catalogs. 2009. http://www.dagatron.com. Accessed 18 Feb 2016.Google Scholar
- Kandel ER, Schwartz JH, Jessell TM. Principles of neural science. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill; 2000.Google Scholar
- Stanfield CL. Principles of human physiology. 4th ed. Pearson/Benjamin Cummings; 2011.Google Scholar
- Fitz Gerald MJT, Gruener G, Mtui E. Clinical neuroanatomy and neuroscience. 5th ed. Saunders/Elsevier; 2007.Google Scholar
- Han SK, Kim YS, Kwon SY, Lee KH, Choi NY. Sensory innervation in human hip joint capsule and pseudocapsule after total hip replacement-a morphological investigation. J Kor Orthopaedic Assoc. 2002; 37(2):240–4.Google Scholar
- Yu M. Study on postural control using somatosensory stimulation. Dissertation. Jeonju: Jeonbuk National University; 2009.Google Scholar