Sonya Remington-Doucette: sustainable world approaches to analyzing and resolving wicked problems
A holistic approach to sustainability challenges from a complex systems perspective;
Theoretical perspectives with practical case studies; and
Build students’ capacity to analyze sustainability challenges as well as develop viable solutions (Wiek in Remington-Doucette 2013, p. xi).
Although I submit Professor Wiek’s perspective may be biased a bit since he worked closely with the author on parts of this book- this reviewer finds that this book is the best approach that he has seen that combines systems theory applied to sustainability problem solving. In the past this reviewer has used such sources as Alan Atkisson’s The Sustainability Transformation, John Peet’s Energy and the Ecological Economics of Sustainability and Meadows’ Thinking in Systems a Primerfor connecting systems concepts to sustainability management and problem solving....
- Barresi PA, Focht WJ, Reiter MA, Smardon RC, Humphreys M, Reiter KD, Kolmes SS et al (2015) Revealing complexity in educating for sustainability: an update on the work of the roundtable on environment and sustainability. In: Leal Filho W (ed) Integrating sustainability thinking in science and engineering curricula, World publishing series. Springer, Berlin, pp 497–512. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-09474-8_35 Google Scholar
- Chappin FS, Kofinas GP, Folke C (2009) Principles of ecosystem stewardship; resilience-based natural resource management in a changing world. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Gunderson LH, Holling CS (2002) Panarchy: understanding transformations in human and natural systems. Island Press, Washington DCGoogle Scholar
- Martin GG (2001) Human ecology: basic concepts for sustainable development. Earthscan Publications, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Meadows D (2008) Thinking in systems; a primer. Chelsea Grove Publishing, VermontGoogle Scholar
- Remington-Doucette S (2013) Sustainable world: approaches to analyzing and resolving wicked problems. Kendall Hunt Publishers, DubuqueGoogle Scholar
- Scheffer M (2009) Critical transitions in nature and society. Princeton University Press, PrincetonGoogle Scholar
- Walker B, Salt D (2006) Resilience thinking: sustaining ecosystems and people in a changing world. Island Press, Washington DCGoogle Scholar