The Effects of Gd-Free Impurity Phase on the Aging Behavior for the Microwave Surface Resistance of Ag-coated GdBa2Cu3O7−δ at Cryogenic Temperatures
High-TC GdBa2Cu3O7−δ (GdBCO) superconductor has been popular for making superconductive tapes that have much potential for various fields of large-scale applications. We investigated aging effects on the microwave surface resistance (RS) of Ag-coated GdBCO layer on Hastelloy substrate, so called GdBCO coated conductors (CCs), and Ag-coated GdBCO films on LaAlO3 (LAO) single-crystal substrates at cryogenic temperatures and compared them with each other. Unlike the RS of Ag-coated GdBCO films showing significant degradation in 4 weeks, no significant aging effects were found in our Ag-coated GdBCO CCs aged 85 weeks. The reactive co-evaporation deposition and reaction (RCE-DR) method was used for preparing the Ag-coated GdBCO CCs. Such durability of the Ag-coated GdBCO CCs in terms of the RS could be explained by existence of a protective impurity phase, i.e., Gd-free Ba–Cu–O phase as confirmed by transmission electron microscopy study combined with the energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy measurements. Although the scope of this study is limited to the Ag-coated GdBCO CCs prepared by using the RCE-DR method, our results suggest that a solution for preventing the aging effects on transport properties of other kinds of Ag-coated GdBCO CCs could be realized by means of an artificially-grown protective impurity layer.
KeywordsAging effect GdBa2Cu3O7−δ Surface resistance Coated conductor Film
This work was supported by Konkuk University in 2014.
- 3.Fuger, R., Inoue, M., Higashikawa, K., Kiss, T., Namba, M., Awaji, S., Watanabe, K., Ibi, A., Yamada, Y., Izumi, T.: J. Phys: Conf. Ser. 234, 022009 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.S. Yoon, J. Kim, K. Cheon, H. Lee, S. Hahn, S.H. Moon, Supercond. Sci. Technol. 29, 04LT04 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Schlesier, K., Huhtinen, H., Granroth, S., Paturi, P.: J. Phys: Conf. Ser. 234, 012036 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Hein, M.: High-Temperature-Superconductor Thin Films at Microwave Frequencies, p. 43. Springer, Berlin (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.International Electrotechnical Commission, International standard, IEC 61788-15 ed. 1, (2011)Google Scholar