Material Damage Evolution for Plain and Steel-Fiber-Reinforced Concrete Under Unconfined Compression Loading by Dynamic Ultrasonic Tests
- 24 Downloads
This paper summarizes the results of a research aimed at assessing the damage of plain and steel-fiber-reinforced concrete when using ultrasonic compression and shear wave velocities. The ultrasonic waves and the axial compression loading were oriented to the same direction in order to track the damage progress during several loading steps. The concrete damage was monitored based on the evolution of the dynamic mechanical properties. The experimental program included 18 cylindrical specimens from six different mixtures that were cast by using 0, 0.3 and 0.5% fiber volume contents. Quantitative models were established linking the axial loads, the wave velocities, the dynamic Young’s and shear moduli, the Poisson’s ratio and a damage index.
KeywordsSteel-fiber-reinforced concrete Ultrasonic pulse Damage model Compression loading Dynamic properties Damage index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the Universidad Nacional de Colombia—Bogotá through the Project DIB–23639. The third author expresses his gratitude to the Universidad Militar Nueva Granada (UMNG, Colombia) for granting research scholarships.
- 1.Malhotra, V.M.; Carino, N.J.: Handbook on Nondestructive Testing of Concrete. CRC Press, Florida (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Bungey, J.H.; Millard, S.G.: Testing of Concrete in Structures. Spon Press, London (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.ASTM C597-02: Standard Test Method for Pulse Velocity Trough Concrete, Annu. B. ASTM Stand (2002)Google Scholar
- 17.Shokouhi, P.; Zoëga, A.; Wiggenhauser, H.; Fischer, G.; Zoëga, A.; Wiggenhauser, H.: Surface wave velocity–stress relationship in uniaxially loaded concrete. ACI Mater. J. 109, 141–148 (2012)Google Scholar
- 19.Nogueira, C.L.; Willam, K.J.: Ultrasonic testing of damage in concrete under uniaxial compression. ACI Mater. J. 98, 265–275 (2001)Google Scholar
- 20.Sukontasukkul, P.; Hongthong, P.; Songpiriyakij, S.: Accessing damage of plain and fiber reinforced concrete under loading using variations of ultrasonic pulse velocity. In: 5th Civil Engineering Conference in the Asian Region and Australasian Structural Engineering Conference (2010)Google Scholar
- 24.Santhanam, M.: Ultrasonic characterization of damage in concrete. Tech. Sci. Press 3(2), 111–25 (2010)Google Scholar
- 27.Unger, D.J.: Analytical Fracture Mechanics. Acad. Press, Washington (1995)Google Scholar
- 28.Janssen, M.; Zuidema, J.; Wanhill, R.J.H.: Fracture Mechanics. Spon Press, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 30.ASTM D2845-08, Standard Test Method for Laboratory Determination of Pulse Velocities and Ultrasonic Elastic Constants of Rock. Annu. B. ASTM Stand (2008)Google Scholar
- 31.EFNARC: European specification for sprayed concrete (1996)Google Scholar
- 32.ASTM C78-18, Standard Test Method for Flexural Strength of Concrete (Using Simple Beam with Third-Point Loading). Annu. B. ASTM Stand (2018)Google Scholar
- 33.ASTM C469-10, Standard Test Method for Static Modulus of Elasticity and Poisson’s Ratio of Concrete in Compression, Annu. B. ASTM Stand (2010)Google Scholar