Improving Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry Image Quality with Image Fusion
- 512 Downloads
The spatial resolution of chemical images acquired with cluster secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS) is limited not only by the size of the probe utilized to create the images but also by detection sensitivity. As the probe size is reduced to below 1 μm, for example, a low signal in each pixel limits lateral resolution because of counting statistics considerations. Although it can be useful to implement numerical methods to mitigate this problem, here we investigate the use of image fusion to combine information from scanning electron microscope (SEM) data with chemically resolved SIMS images. The advantage of this approach is that the higher intensity and, hence, spatial resolution of the electron images can help to improve the quality of the SIMS images without sacrificing chemical specificity. Using a pan-sharpening algorithm, the method is illustrated using synthetic data, experimental data acquired from a metallic grid sample, and experimental data acquired from a lawn of algae cells. The results show that up to an order of magnitude increase in spatial resolution is possible to achieve. A cross-correlation metric is utilized for evaluating the reliability of the procedure.
Key wordsSIMS Image processing Image fusion Algae Biofuels Botryococcus braunii
The authors acknowledge financial support from the National Institute of Health under grant no. 5R01 EB002016-19, and the Department of Energy under grant no. DE-FG-02-06ER15803. The authors thank Richard Caprioli for suggesting the use of image fusion in SIMS, as well as Jordan Lerach for preparing and Hua Tian for obtaining SEM and SIMS images of gold-coated grid samples.
- 8.Mumtaz, A., Majid, A., Mumtaz, A.: Genetic Algorithms and Its Application to Image Fusion. Proceedings of the International Conference on Emerging Technologies, Rawalpindi, Pakistan, October 18–19, 6–10 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Khan, A.M., Khan, A.: Fusion of visible and thermal images using support vector machines. Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Multitopic Conference, Islamabad, Pakistan, December 23–24, 146–151 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Ashoori, A., Moshiri, B., Setarehdan, S.K.: Fuzzy image fusion application in detecting coronary layers in IVUS pictures. S.K. Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Communications, Control, and Signal Processing, St. Julian's, Malta, March 12–14, Vols 1/3, 20–24 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Shivsubramani Krishnamoorthy, K.P.S.: Implemetation and comparative study of image fusion algorithms. Int. J. Comput. Appl. 9, 25–35 (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.Rokni, K., Marghany, M., Hashim, M., Hazini, S.: Comparative statistical-based and color-related pan sharpening algorithms for ASTER and RADARSAT SAR satellite data. IEEE International Conference on Computer Applications and Industrial Electronics (ICCAIE), Penang, Malaysia, December 4–7, 618–622 (2011)Google Scholar
- 20.Simpson, A.J., Zang, X., Kramer, R., Hatcher, P.G.: New insights on the structure of algaenan from Botryoccocus braunii race A and its hexane insoluble botryals based on multidimensional NMR spectroscopy and electrospray-mass spectrometry techniques. Phytochemistry 62, 783–796 (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Padwick, C., Pacifici, F., Smallwood, S.: WorldView-2 Pan-Sharpening. Proceedings of the ASPRS Annual Conference, San Diego, California, US, April 26–30 (2010)Google Scholar
- 25.Pavlic, G., Singhroy, V., Duk-Rodkin, A., Alasset, P.J.: Satellite data fusion techniques for terrain and surficial geological mapping. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2008. IGARSS 2008. IEEE Int 3, 314 (2008)Google Scholar
- 27.Manjusha Deshmukh, U.B.: Image fusion and image quality assessment of fused images. Int. J. Image Processing 4, 484–508 (2010)Google Scholar
- 28.Weiss, T.L., Roth, R., Goodson, C., Vitha, S., Black, I., Azadi, P., Rusch, J., Holzenburg, A., Devarenne, T.P., Goodenough, U.: Colony organization in the green alga Botryococcus braunii (Race B) is specified by a complex extracellular matrix. Eukaryotic Cell 11, 1424–1440 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Oner, E.T.: Pretreatment Techniques for Biofuels and Biorefineries; Springer, Berlin, pp. 35–36 (2013)Google Scholar