Space Charge Induced Nonlinear Effects in Quadrupole Ion Traps
- 520 Downloads
A theoretical method was proposed in this work to study space charge effects in quadrupole ion traps, including ion trapping, ion motion frequency shift, and nonlinear effects on ion trajectories. The spatial distributions of ion clouds within quadrupole ion traps were first modeled for both 3D and linear ion traps. It is found that the electric field generated by space charge can be expressed as a summation of even-order fields, such as quadrupole field, octopole field, etc. Ion trajectories were then solved using the harmonic balance method. Similar to high-order field effects, space charge will result in an “ocean wave” shape nonlinear resonance curve for an ion under a dipolar excitation. However, the nonlinear resonance curve will be totally shifted to lower frequencies and bend towards ion secular frequency as ion motion amplitude increases, which is just the opposite effect of any even-order field. Based on theoretical derivations, methods to reduce space charge effects were proposed.
Key wordsSpace charge Quadrupole ion trap Nonlinear resonance curve Harmonic balance method
This work was supported by National Natural Sciences Foundation of China (21205005) and National Scientific Instrumentation Grant Program of China (2011YQ09000502, 2011YQ09000501 and 2012YQ040140-07).
- 2.March, R.E.: Quadrupole Ion Trap Mass Spectrometer. Wiley Online Library: (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Huzarska, M., Ugalde, I., Kaplan, D.A., Hartmer, R., Easterling, M.L., Polfer, N.C.: Negative electron transfer dissociation of deprotonated phosphopeptide anions: choice of radical cation reagent and competition between electron and proton transfer. Anal. Chem. 82(7), 2873–2878 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Todd, J.F.J., Waldren, R.M., Mather, R.E.: The quadrupole ion store (QUISTOR). Part IX. Space charge and ion stability. A. Theoretical background and experimental results. Int. J. Mass Spectrom. Ion Physics 34(3), 325–349 (1980)Google Scholar
- 46.Dehmelt, H.G.: Radiofrequency spectroscopy of stored ions. I: Storage. Adv. At. Mol. Phys. 3, 53 (1967)Google Scholar
- 49.Doroudi, A., Asl, A.R.: Calculation of secular axial frequencies in a nonlinear ion trap with hexapole, octopole, and decapole superpositions by a modified Lindstedt-Poincare method. Int. J. Mass Spectrom. 309, 104–108 (2012)Google Scholar
- 55.Prentice, B.M., McLuckey, S.A.: Dipolar DC collisional activation in a "stretched" 3D ion trap: the effect of higher order fields on rf heating. J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom. 23(4), 736–744.Google Scholar