Expressions of the cytochrome P450 monooxygenase gene Cyp4g1 and its homolog in the prothoracic glands of the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster (Diptera: Drosophilidae) and the silkworm Bombyx mori (Lepidoptera: Bombycidae)
- 476 Downloads
Here we describe the expression profiles of the cytochrome P450 monooxygenase gene Cyp4g1 in the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster Meigen, and its homolog in the silkworm, Bombyx mori L. We identified Cyp4g1 by a microarray analysis to examine the expression levels of 86 predicted D. melanogaster P450 genes in the ring gland that contains the prothoracic gland (PG), an endocrine organ responsible for synthesizing ecdysteroids. B. mori Cyp4g25 is a closely related homolog of D. melanogaster Cyp4g1 and is also expressed in the PG. A developmental expression pattern of Cyp4g25 in the PG is positively correlated with a fluctuation in hemolymph ecdysteroid titer in the late stage of the final instar. Moreover, the expression of Cyp4g25 in cultured PGs is significantly induced by the addition of prothoracicotropic hormone (PTTH), a neuropeptide hormone that stimulates the synthesis and release of ecdysone. We propose that Cyp4g1 and Cyp4g25 are the candidates that play a role in regulating PG function and control ecdysteroid production and/or metabolism during insect development.
KeywordsCytochrome P450 monooxygenase Prothoracic gland Bombyx mori Drosophila melanogaster
We thank Kaoru Saigo, Kuniaki Takahashi and Ryu Ueda for their support in the initial stages of this work. We also thank Kazuei Mita for providing us with the B. mori EST clone; Ken Watanabe and Mariko Fujishita for technical assistance; and Takuji Yoshiyama-Yanagawa and Yuko Shimada-Niwa for comments on the manuscript. We are also grateful to Katsuo Furukubo-Tokunaga for allowing R.N. to use his space and equipment. This work was supported in part by Special Coordination Funds for Promoting Science and Technology from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology of the Japanese Government and by grants to H.K. from Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (19380034) from JSPS and the Program for Promotion of Basic Research Activities for Innovative Biosciences.
- Chávez VM, Marques G, Delbecque JP, Kobayashi K, Hollingsworth M, Burr J, Natzle JE, O’Connor MB (2000) The Drosophila disembodied gene controls late embryonic morphogenesis and codes for a cytochrome P450 enzyme that regulates embryonic ecdysone levels. Development 127:4115–4126PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kiguchi K, Agui N, Kawasaki H, Kobayashi H (1985) Developmental timetable for the last larval and pharate pupal stages in the silkworm, Bombyx mori, with special reference to the correlation between the developmental events and haemolymph ecdysteroid levels. Bull Sericult Exp Stn 30:83–100Google Scholar
- Niwa R, Namiki T, Ito K, Shimada-Niwa Y, Kiuchi M, Kawaoka S, Kayukawa T, Banno Y, Fujimoto Y, Shigenobu S, Kobayashi S, Shimada T, Katsuma S, Shinoda T (2010) Non-molting glossy/shroud encodes a short-chain dehydrogenase/reductase that functions in the ‘Black Box’ of the ecdysteroid biosynthesis pathway. Development 137:1991–1999PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Petryk A, Warren JT, Marques G, Jarcho MP, Gilbert LI, Kahler J, Parvy JP, Li Y, Dauphin-Villemant C, O’Connor MB (2003) Shade is the Drosophila P450 enzyme that mediates the hydroxylation of ecdysone to the steroid insect molting hormone 20-hydroxyecdysone. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100:13773–13778PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stapleton M, Carlson J, Brokstein P, Yu C, Champe M, George R, Guarin H, Kronmiller B, Pacleb J, Park S, Wan K, Rubin GM and Celniker SE (2002) A Drosophila full-length cDNA resource. Genome Biol 3:RESEARCH0080Google Scholar
- Tomancak P, Beaton A, Weiszmann R, Kwan E, Shu S, Lewis SE, Richards S, Ashburner M, Hartenstein V, Celniker SE, Rubin GM (2002) Systematic determination of patterns of gene expression during Drosophila embryogenesis. Genome Biol 3:RESEARCH0088Google Scholar
- Warren JT, Petryk A, Marques G, Parvy JP, Shinoda T, Itoyama K, Kobayashi J, Jarcho M, Li Y, O’Connor MB, Dauphin-Villemant C, Gilbert LI (2004) Phantom encodes the 25-hydroxylase of Drosophila melanogaster and Bombyx mori: a P450 enzyme critical in ecdysone biosynthesis. Insect Biochem Mol Biol 34:991–1010PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar