Theoretical approximation of focusing-wave induced load upon a large-scale vertical cylinder
Until now, most researches into the rogue-wave-structure interaction have relied on experimental measurement and numerical simulation. Owing to the complexity of the physical mechanism of rogue waves, theoretical study on the wave-structure issue still makes little progress. In this paper, the rogue wave flow around a vertical cylinder is analytically studied within the scope of the potential theory. The rogue wave is modeled by the Gauss envelope, which is one particular case of the well-known focusing theory. The formulae of the wave-induced horizontal force and bending moment are proposed. For the convenience of engineering application, the derived formulae are simplified appropriately, and verified against numerical results. In addition, the influence of wave parameters, such as the energy focusing degree and the wave focusing position, is thoroughly investigated.
Keywordsrogue wave Gauss envelope upright cylinder potential theory analytical approximation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clauss, G.F., Schmittner, C.E., Hennig, J., Soares, C.G., Fonseca, N. and Pascoal, R., 2004. Bending moments of an FPSO in rogue waves, Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, ASME, Vancouver, Canada, Paper No. OMAE2004-51504, pp. 455–462.Google Scholar
- Clauss, G.F., Schmittner, C.E. and Stutz, K., 2003. Freak wave impact on semisubmersibles-time-domain analysis of motions and forces, Proceedings of the 13th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.Google Scholar
- Haver, S. and Andersen, O.J., 2000. Freak waves: Rare realizations of a typical population or typical realizations of a rare population, Proceedings of the 10th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers, Seattle, WA, USA.Google Scholar
- Kjeldsen, P.S., 2005. Measurements of freak waves in Norway and related ship accidents, Royal Institution of Naval Architects International Conference-Design and Operation for Abnormal Conditions III, Royal Institution of Naval Architects, London, United Kingdom.Google Scholar
- Li, Y.L., 1994. Wave Theory and Wave Load, South China University of Technology Press, Guangzhou. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Sparboom, U., Wienke, J. and Oumeraci, H., 2001. Laboratory “reak wave” generation for the study of extreme wave loads on piles, Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Ocean Wave Measurement and Analysis, ASCE, San Francisco, CA, United States.Google Scholar
- Sun, Y.Y., Liu, S.X. and Li, J.X., 2009. An improved numerical method for calculations in wave kinematics, Journal of Hydrodynamics, Ser. B, 21(6), 826–834.Google Scholar
- Zhao, X.Z., Hu, C.H. and Sun, Z.C., 2010. Numerical simulation of extreme wave generation using VOF method, Journal of Hydrodynamics, Ser. B, 22(4), 466–477.Google Scholar