Nonlinear random motion analysis of a Tension Leg Platform considering the set-down motion of a floating body
- 51 Downloads
The dynamic analysis of a Tension Leg Platform (TLP) in random wave is investigated by considering the set-down of a floating body. The nonlinear restoring stiffness is derived with the set-down motion of a floating body and the coupled motion of the tension leg and platform and the differential equations of the motion are established. The study focuses on the influence of the set-down motion on the nonlinear response of the platform. By considering different significant wave heights and currents, motion responses of the platform are calculated and compared. The analysis shows that the set-down motion significantly increases the heave motion with low frequency and the equilibrium position of the heave motion with the set-down motion is much lower than that without set-down motion. The results in this paper indicate that the set-down motion has a major impact on the safety of the platform inproduction operation, and it is also a threat to the strength of tension legs and risers.
Key wordsTension Leg Platform (TLP) set-down nonlinear restoring stiffness random wave coupled motion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dong, Y.Q., 2005. Wave Loads and Response of the Oil-Extraction Platform in Deep Ocean, Tianjin University, Tianjin. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Gu, J.Y., 2013. Study on the Complex Dynamic Response and Vortex-Induced Motion Characteristics, Ph. D. Thesis, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Gueydon, S., Wuillaume, P., Jonkman, J., Robertson, A. and Platt, A., 2015. Comparison of second-order loads on a tension-leg platform for wind turbines, Proceedings of the 25th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Kona, Hawaii, USA.Google Scholar
- Hu, Z.M., Dong, Y.Q., Yang, G.S. and Chen, X.C., 2001. The quasistatic analysis of TLP, China Offshore Platform, 16(4), 21–25. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Jin, S.N. and Ma, Y.L., 2002. Theoretical Mechanics, Higher Education Press, Beijing. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Shan, T.B., 2013. Research on the Mechanism of Wave Run-up and the Key Characteristics of Air-Gap Response of Semi-Submersible, Ph.D. Thesis, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Tang, Y.G., Shen, G.G. and Liu, L.Q., 2008. Dynamics of Ocean Engineering Structure, Tianjin University, Tianjin. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Xu, W.H., Zeng, X.H., Wu, Y.X. and Liu, J.Y., 2009. Coupled dynamic responses of the tension leg platform and tendon in deep-water, Jounal of Vibration and Shock, 28(2), 145–150. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zeng, X.H., Liu, Y., Shen, X.P. and Wu, Y.X., 2007. Nonlinear dynamic response of tension leg platform with finite displacements, Engineering Mechanics, 24(3), 179–184. (in Chinese)Google Scholar