Simplified calculation methods for all-vertical-piled wharf in offshore deep water
- 38 Downloads
All-vertical-piled wharf is a kind of high-piled wharf, but it is extremely different from the traditional ones in some aspects, such as the structural property, bearing characteristics, failure mechanism, and static or dynamic calculation methods. In this paper, the finite element method (FEM) and theoretical analysis method are combined to analyze the structural property, bearing behavior and failure mode of the all-vertical-piled wharf in offshore deep water, and to establish simplified calculation methods determining the horizontal static ultimate bearing capacity and the dynamic response for the all-vertical-piled wharf. Firstly, the bearing capability and failure mechanism for all-vertical-piled wharf are studied by use of FEM, and the failure criterion is put forward for all-vertical-piled wharf based on the ‘plastic hinge’. According to the failure criterion and P–Y curve method, the simplified calculation method of the horizontal static ultimate bearing capacity for all-vertical-piled wharf is proposed, and it is verified that the simplified method is reasonable by comparison with the FEM. Secondly, the displacement dynamic magnification factor for the all-vertical-piled wharf under wave cyclic loads and ship impact loads is calculated by the FEM and the theory formula based on the single degree of freedom (SDOF) system. The results obtained by the two methods are in good agreement with each other, and the simplified calculation method of the displacement dynamic magnification factor for all-vertical-piled wharf under dynamic loads is proposed. Then the simplified calculation method determining the dynamic response for the all-vertical-piled wharf is proposed in combination with P–Y curve method. That is, the dynamic response of the structure can be obtained through the static calculation results of P–Y curve method multiplied by the displacement dynamic magnification factor. The feasibility of the simplified dynamic response method is verified by comparison with the FEM under different conditions.
Key wordsall-vertical-piled wharf failure criterion plastic hinge dynamic amplification coefficient simplified calculation methods
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Petroleum Institute (API), 2000. Recommended Practice for Planning I. Designing and Constructing Fixed Offshore Platforms, API RP 2A-WSD-2000, API Publishing Services, Washington.Google Scholar
- Li, W., 2000. Analysis of behavior of natural oscillation of open pilesupported beam-slab wharf and its dynamic response to waves, China Harbour Engineering, (3), 18–20. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Luan, M.T., Kong, D.S., Yang, Q. and Han, L.J., 2005. Simplified analytic method of vertical harmonic response of single pile embedded in layered soils, Rock and Soil Mechanics, 26(3), 375–380. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Miura, F., 2002. Lessons from damage to pile foundation caused by past earthquake in Japan and the necessity of nonlinear analyses of pile foundation, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Nonlinear Mechanics, Shanghai, China, 109–115.Google Scholar
- Tang, Y.G., 2002. Advanced Structural Dynamics, Tianjin University Press, Tianjin. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- The Ministry of Transport of the People’s Republic of China, 1998. Harbor Hydrological Specifications, JTJ 213–98, China Communications Press, Beijing. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- The Ministry of Transport of the People’s Republic of China, 2012. Code for Pile Foundation of Harbor Engineering, JTS 167-4-2012, China Communications Press, Beijing. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wang, G., Chen, Y. and Zhang, J.M., 2006. Finite element method for analyzing overturn stability of large cylindrical structures, Rock and Soil Mechanics, 27(2), 238–241. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wang, Y.Z. and He, L.L., 2014. Simplified calculation methods for horizontal bearing capacity of all-vertical-piled wharf in offshore deepwater, Hydro-Science and Engineering, (5), 14–21. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhang, M., Wang, X.H., Yang, G.C. and Xie, L.Z., 2013. Study of dynamic model testing of single pile and behaviors of pile-soil interface under cyclic load, Rock and Soil Mechanics, 34(4), 1037–1044. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhao, H., Cai, Y.Q. and Xu, C.J., 2007. Dynamic response of pile-soil system due to wave force, Journal of Zhejiang University (Engineering Science), 41(7), 1143–1147. (in Chinese)Google Scholar