Harmonic energy transfer for extreme waves in current
- 54 Downloads
Ning et al. (2015) developed a 2D fully nonlinear potential model to investigate the interaction between focused waves and uniform currents. The effects of uniform current on focusing wave crest, focal time and focal position were given. As its extension, harmonic energy transfer for focused waves in uniform current is studied using the proposed model by Ning et al. (2015) and Fast Fourier Transformation (FFT) technique in this study. It shows that the strong opposing currents, inducing partial wave blocking and reducing the extreme wave crest, make the nonlinear energy transfer non-reversible in the focusing and defocusing processes. The numerical results also provide an explanation to address the shifts of focal points in consideration of the combination effects of wave nonlinearity and current.
Key wordsextreme wave focused wave group wave-current interaction fully nonlinear partial wave-blocking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lawton, G., 2001. Monsters of the deep (the perfect wave), New Sci., 170, 28–32.Google Scholar
- Li, J.X., Liu, S.X. and Hong, K., 2008. Numerical study of two-dimensional focusing waves, China Ocean Eng., 22(2), 253–266.Google Scholar
- Mallory, J.K., 1974. Abnormal waves on the South-East coast of South Africa, Int. Hydrog. Rev., 51(2), 89–129.Google Scholar
- Ning, D.Z., Zhuo, X.L., Hou, T.C. and Teng, B., 2015. Numerical investigation of focused waves on uniform currents. Int. J. Offshore Polar, 25(1), 19–25.Google Scholar
- Toffoli, A., Cavaleri, L., Babanin, A.V., Benoit, M., Bitner-Gregersen, E.M., Monbaliu, J., Onorato, M., Osborne, A.R. and Stansberg, C.T., 2011. Occurrence of extreme waves in three-dimensional mechanically generated wave fields propagating over an oblique current, Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 11(3), 895–903.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Touboul, J., Pelinovsky, E. and Kharif, C., 2007. Nonlinear focusing wave group on current, J. Korean Soc. Coast. Ocean Eng., 19, 222–227.Google Scholar
- Wu, C.H. and Nepf, H.M., 2002. Breaking criteria and energy losses for three-dimensional wave breaking, J. Geophys. Res., 107, 41-1–41-18.Google Scholar
- Yan, S., Ma, Q.W. and Adcock, T.A.A., 2010. An investigations of freak waves on uniform current, Proceedings of the 25th Int ernational Workshop on Water Waves and Floating Bodies, Harbin, China.Google Scholar