Effects of perforated baffle on reducing sloshing in rectangular tank: Experimental and numerical study
- 369 Downloads
A liquid sloshing experimental rig driven by a wave-maker is designed and built to study liquid sloshing problems in a rectangular liquid tank with perforated baffle. A series of experiments are conducted in this experimental rig to estimate the free surface fluctuation and pressure distribution by changing external excitation frequency of the shaking table. An in-house CFD code is also used in this study to simulate the liquid sloshing in three-dimensional (3D) rectangular tank with perforated baffle. Good agreements of free surface elevation and pressure between the numerical results and the experimental data are obtained and presented. Spectral analysis of the time history of free surface elevation is conducted by using the fast Fourier transformation.
Key wordsliquid sloshing experimental study rectangular tank perforated baffle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Faltinsen, O. M., 1978. A numerical nonlinear method of sloshing in tanks with two-dimensional flow, J. Ship Res., 22(3): 193–202.Google Scholar
- Liu, D., 2007. Numerical Modeling of Three-Dimensional Water Waves and Their Interaction with Structures, Ph.D. Thesis, National University of Singapore, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Shin, J. R., Choi, K. and Kang, S. Y., 2006. An analytical solution to sloshing natural periods for a prismatic liquid cargo tank with baffles, Proc. 16th Int Offshore Polar Eng. Conf., ISOPE, California, pp 236.Google Scholar
- Xue, M. A., 2011. Experimental study of liquid sloshing in a tank under irregular wave excitation, 34th IAHR World Congress, Brisbane, 1255–1262.Google Scholar
- Xue, M. A., Zheng, J. H. and Lin, P. Z., 2012. Numerical simulation of sloshing phenomena in cubic tank with multiple baffles, J. Appl. Math., 2012, 1–21, doi: 10.1151/2012/245702.Google Scholar
- Yan, C. H., Wang, C. Z. and Cheng, E. S., 2001. Finite element analysis to two-dimensional nonlinear sloshing problems, China Ocean Eng., 15(2): 291–300.Google Scholar
- Yan, G. R., Rakheja, S. and Siddiqui, K., 2009. Experimental study of liquid slosh dynamics in a partially-filled tank, J. Fluids Eng., 131, 071303-1–14.Google Scholar
- Younes, M. F., Younes, Y. K., El-Madah, M., Ibrahim, I. M. and El-Dannanh, E. H., 2007. An experimental investigation of hydrodynamic damping due to vertical baffle arrangements in a rectangular tank, Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part M: J. Eng. Maritime Environ, 221, 115–123.CrossRefGoogle Scholar