An arc tangent function demodulation method of fiber-optic Fabry-Perot high-temperature pressure sensor
A new demodulation algorithm of the fiber-optic Fabry-Perot cavity length based on the phase generated carrier (PGC) is proposed in this paper, which can be applied in the high-temperature pressure sensor. This new algorithm based on arc tangent function outputs two orthogonal signals by utilizing an optical system, which is designed based on the field-programmable gate array (FPGA) to overcome the range limit of the original PGC arc tangent function demodulation algorithm. The simulation and analysis are also carried on. According to the analysis of demodulation speed and precision, the simulation of different numbers of sampling points, and measurement results of the pressure sensor, the arc tangent function demodulation method has good demodulation results: 1 MHz processing speed of single data and less than 1% error showing practical feasibility in the fiber-optic Fabry-Perot cavity length demodulation of the Fabry-Perot high-temperature pressure sensor.
KeywordsArc tangent Fabry-Perot demodulation pressure sensor
This work was supported by the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars (No. 51425505) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51405454).
- T. George, K. A. Son, R. A. Powers, L. Y. D. Castillo, and R. Okojie, “Harsh environment microtechnologies for NASA and terrestrial applications,” in Proceeding of IEEE 4th International Conference on Sensors, Irvine, CA, USA, 2005, pp. 1253–1258.Google Scholar
- B. Wu, Y. Yuan, J. Yang, A. Zhao, and L. Yuan, “Improved signal demodulation method in optical fiber seismometer,” Sensor Letters, 2012, 10(7): 1402–1406.Google Scholar
- N. Wang, Y. Zhu, T. C. Gong, L. H. Li, and W. M. Chen, “Multichannel fiber optic Fabry-Perot nonscanning correlation demodulator,” Chinese Optics Letters, 2013, 11(7): 10–12.Google Scholar
- H. T. Chen and Y. C. Liang, “Analysis of the tunable asymmetric fiber F-P cavity for fiber sensor edge-filter demodulation,” in Proceeding of IEEE 2014 International Conference on Consumer Electronics, Shenzhen, 2014, pp. 338–343.Google Scholar
- “Diaphragm based long cavity Fabry-Perot fiber acoustic sensor using phase generated carrier,” Optics Communications, 2017, 382: 514–518.Google Scholar
- A. L. Zhang and S. Zhang, “High stability fiber-optics sensors with an improved PGC demodulation algorithm,” IEEE Sensors Journal, 2016, 16(21): 7681–7684.Google Scholar
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.