Design of optical logic gates using self-collimated beams in 2D photonic crystal
- 1.8k Downloads
Optical logic gates are elementary components for optical network and optical computing. In this paper, we propose a structure for AND, NAND, XNOR and NOR logic gates in the two dimensional photonic crystal which utilizes the dispersion based self-collimation effect. The self-collimated beam is splitted by the line defect and interfered with other self-collimated beam. This interference may be constructive or destructive based on their phase difference. This phenomenon is employed to realize all-optical logic gates. The gates are demonstrated numerically by computing electromagnetic field distribution using the finite difference time domain (FDTD) method. The results ensure that this design can function as AND, NAND, XNOR and NOR logic gates. The size of the structure is about 10 μm × 10 μm which in turn results in an increase in the speed and all the gates are realized in the same configuration. The ON-OFF contrast ratio is about 6 dB.
KeywordsOptical computing photonic crystal band diagram equifrequency contour all-optical logic gates
- T. Fjelde, A. Kloch, D. Wolfson, B. Dagens, A. Coquelin, I. Guillemot, F. Gaborit, F. Poingt, and M. Renaud, “Novel scheme for simple label-swapping employing XOR logic in integrated interferometric wavelength converter,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 750–752, 2001.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- J. W. M. Menezes, W. B. Fraga, A. C. Ferreira, K. D. A. Saboia, A. F. G. F. Filho, G. F. Guimarães, J. R. R. Sousa, H. H. B. Rocha, and A. S. B. Sombra, “Logic gates based in two and three-modes nonlinear optical fiber couplers,” Optical and Quantum Electronics, vol. 39, no. 14, pp. 1191–1206, 2007.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- K. H. Ahn, X. D. Cao, Y. Liang, B. C. Barnett, S. Chaikamnerd, and M. N. Islam, “Cascadability and functionality of all-optical low-birefringent non-linear optical loop mirror: experimental demonstration,” Journal of Optical Society of America B, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 1228–1236, 1997.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- H. J. S. Dorren, X. L. Yang, A. K. Mishra, Z. G. Li, H. Ju, H. Waardt, G. D. Khoe, T. Simoyama, H. Ishikawa, H. Kawashima, and T. Hasama, “All-optical logic based on ultrafast gain and index dynamics in a semiconductor optical amplifier,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 1079–1092, 2004.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- K. Y. Lee, Y. C. Yang, Y. J. Lin, W. Y. Lee, C. C. Lee, and S. H. Wong, “The designs of 4×2 encoder based on photonic crystals,” in Proc. SPIE (Proceedings of OSA-IEEE Asia Communications and Photonics), vol. 7630, pp. 76300I-1–76300I-7, 2009.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.