MOGA-Based Structural Design Method for Diagrid Structural Control System Subjected to Wind and Earthquake Loads
- 101 Downloads
An integrated optimal structural design method for a diagrid structure and control device was developed. A multi-objective genetic algorithm was used and a 60-story diagrid building structure was developed as an example structure. Artificial wind and earthquake loads were generated to assess the wind-induced and seismic responses. A smart tuned mass damper (TMD) was used as a structural control system and an MR (magnetorheological) damper was employed to develop a smart TMD (STMD). The multi-objective genetic algorithm used five objectives including a reduction of the dynamic responses, additional stiffness and damping, mass of STMD, capacity of the MR damper for the integrated optimization of a diagrid structure and a STMD. From the proposed method, integrated optimal designs for the diagrid structure and STMD were obtained. The numerical simulation also showed that the STMD provided good control performance for reducing the wind-induced and seismic responses of a tall diagrid building structure.
KeywordsIntegrated structural optimal design Diagrid structural system Smart tuned mass damper Multi-objective genetic algorithm Vibration control Wind excitation Earthquake load
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korea government(MSIP) (No. NRF-2017R1A2B4006226).
- Dyrbye, C., & Hansen, S. O. (1997). Wind loads on structures. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Forster and partners. (2017). http://www.fosterandpartners.com/media/2477018/img11-1.jpg, May 17, 2017.
- Garcia, D. L., & Soong, T. T. (2002). Efficiency of a simple approach for the design of optimal damper configurations in MDOF structures. In Proceedings of the third world conference on structural control, Como, Italy (pp. 431–436).Google Scholar
- Gasparini, D. A., & Vanmarcke, E. H. (1976). SIMQKE: User’s manual and documentation. Cambridge: Dept. of Civil Eng, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- IBC. (2012). International Building Code, International Code Consortium.Google Scholar