Sustainable farming practices of the Chinese mitten crab (Eriocheir sinensis) around Hongze Lake, lower Yangtze River Basin, China
- 610 Downloads
Results of a survey of 156 Chinese mitten crab (Eriocheir sinensis) grow-out farms around Hongze Lake (118.48–118.72°E; 33.36–33.38°N) are reported. Area farmed has remained relatively unchanged but production (59 932 t in 2012) increased steadily over the last 7 years, indicative of the viability and sustainability of the farming system that has gradually replaced intensive Chinese major carp polyculture around Hongze Lake. Results showed that production range was 135–2400 kg ha−1 cycle−1 (mean 1144 ± 34). Crab yields correlated linearly to stocking density and conformed to a normal distribution curve, with 66.7 % of farms yielding 900 kg ha−1 cycle−1 or more. Yield was negatively correlated to pond size and capture size (p < 0.01), and farms with macrophyte coverage rate lower than 30 % of water surface were significantly (p < 0.05) lower than those exceeding 30 %.
KeywordsChinese mitten crab Eriocheir sinensis Farming practice Feed type Macrophyte Yield Hongze lake
This work was financially supported by the National Science and Technology Supporting Program of China (No. 2012BAD25B08) and the State Key Laboratory of Freshwater Ecology and Biotechnology (No. 2014FBZ04). All of us are grateful to numerous farmers who willingly and unreservedly provided us information and records. The valuable cooperation with Hongze Lake Fisheries Management Committee Office and Aquaculture Technology Extension Stations around Hongze Lake is gratefully acknowledged. The contribution of one of us (S.S. De Silva) was made when on a Visiting Professorship under the auspices of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), tenable at the Institute of Hydrobiology, Wuhan. This support from the CAS is gratefully acknowledged.
- Billard, R. 1999. The carp: Biology and culture. New York: Springer-Praxis.Google Scholar
- Briggs, M.R.P., and S.J. Funge-Smith. 1994. A nutrient budget of some intensive marine shrimp ponds in Thailand. Aquaculture and Fisheries Management 25: 789–811.Google Scholar
- Bunlipatanon, P., N. Songseechan, H. Kongkeo, N.W. Abery, and S.S. De Silva. 2014. Comparative efficacy of trash fish versus compounded commercial feeds in cage aquaculture of Asian seabass (Lates calcarifer) (Bloch) and tiger grouper (Epinephelus fuscoguttatus) (Forsska). Aquaculture Research 45: 373–388.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chen, B., N. Du, and H. Ye. 1989. Analysis on the feeding habit of the mitten crab Eriocheir sinensis. Fisheries Science & Technology Information 16: 2–5. (In Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Cui, Y., and Z. Li. 2005. Fishery resources and conservation of environment in lakes of the Changjiang River Basin. Beijing: Science Press. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- De Silva, S.S., R.P. Subasinghe, D.M. Bartley, and A. Lowther. 2004. Tilapias as alien aquatics in Asia and the Pacific: A review. FAO, Fisheries Technical Paper No. 453, Rome, Italy.Google Scholar
- FAO. 2014. FishStatJ: A Tool for Fishery Statistical Analysis. (Available: http://www.fao.org/fishery/statistics/software/fishstatj/en).
- Hasan, M.R., and M. Halwart. 2009. Fish as feed inputs for aquaculture: practices, sustainability and implications. FAO, Fisheries and Aquaculture Technical Paper No. 518, Rome, Italy.Google Scholar
- Pan, H. 2002. Ecological culture of Chinese mitten crab. Beijing: China Agriculture Science and Technology Press. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Ruan, R., S. Xia, Y. Chen, Y. She, and M. Yan. 2012. Change of lake nearby Linhuai Town in west bank of Hongze Lake during 1979–2006. Wetland Science 10(3): 344–349. (in Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Shi, H., F.P. James, Z. Fan, M. Hong, and F. Yin. 2008. Evidence of massive scale turtle farming in China. Oryx 42: 147–160.Google Scholar
- Wang, W., Y. Cheng, and Y. Li. 2007a. Biology of Chinese mitten crab. Fisheries Science & Technology Information 34: 25–28. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Wang, M., J. Ma, and Q. Shao. 2007b. Study on aquaculture technology of soft shelled turtle. Reservoir Fisheries 27: 24–26. (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Wang, Q., L. Cheng, J. Liu, Z. Li, S. Xie, and S.S. De Silva. 2014. Freshwater aquaculture in PR China: trends and prospects. Reviews in Aquaculture 5: 1–20.Google Scholar