Selective Evidence of Eutrophication in the Great Barrier Reef: Comment on Bell et al. (2014)
- 229 Downloads
Comment to: Bell, P.R.F., I. Elmetri, and B.E. Lapointe. 2014. Evidence of Large-Scale Chronic Eutrophication in the Great Barrier Reef: Quantification of Chlorophyll a Thresholds for Sustaining Coral Reef Communities. AMBIO. doi: 10.1007/s13280-013-0443-1.
Bell et al.’s (2014) conclusions are based upon a small number sampling programs from the 1920s, 1970s, and 1990s, which are restricted to a few sites and are of relatively short duration (ca. 1 year). A very large...
KeywordsSuspended Particulate Matter Chlorophyll Concentration Great Barrier Reef Ocean Color Gelatinous Zooplankton
- Beaglehole, J.C. 1955. The Journals of Captain James Cook on his Voyages of Discovery. I. The Voyage of the Endeavour 1768–1771. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- De’ath, G., and K. Fabricius. 2008. Water quality of the Great Barrier Reef: Distributions, effects on reef biota and trigger values for the protection of ecosystem health. Research Publication No. 89, 104 p. Townsville: Great Barrier Marine Park Authority.Google Scholar
- Fabricius, K.E., K. Okaji, and G. De’ath. 2010. Three lines of evidence to link outbreaks of the crown-of-thorns seastar Acanthaster planci to the release of larval food limitation. Coral Reefs 29: 593–605.Google Scholar
- GBRMPA. 2010. Water quality guidelines for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. Revised edition 2010, 100 p. Townsville: Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority.Google Scholar
- McKinnon, A.D., M. Logan, S.A. Castine, and S. Duggan. 2013. Pelagic metabolism in the waters of the Great Barrier Reef. Limnology and Oceanography 58: 1227–1242.Google Scholar
- Waters, D.K., C. Carroll, R. Ellis, L. Hateley, J. McCloskey, R. Packett, C. Dougall, and B. Fentie. 2013. Modelling reductions of pollutant loads due to improved management practices in the Great Barrier Reef catchments—Whole of GBR, Volume 1. Department of Natural Resources and Mines. Technical Report. ISBN: 978-1-7423-0999.Google Scholar