Reducing Risks to Rural Water Security in Africa
- 770 Downloads
KeywordsGroundwater Resource Water User Millennium Development Goal Water Service Sustainable Development Goal
This paper is an output from the Smart Water Systems project (R5737) supported by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) for the benefit of developing countries. However, the views expressed and the information contained in it are not necessarily those of or endorsed by DFID, which can accept no responsibility for such views or information or for the reliance placed on them.
- Arlosoroff, S., G. Tschannerl, D. Grey, W. Journey, A. Karp, O. Langenegger, and R. Roche. 1987. Community water supply: The handpump option. Washington, DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- Bannerjee, S., and E. Morella. 2011. Africa’s water and sanitation infrastructure: Access, affordability, and alternatives. Washington, DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- Hope, R.A., Thomson, P., and Foster, T. 2012. Harnessing mobile communications innovations for water security. Global Policy. doi: 10.1111/j.1758-5899.2011.00164.
- IPCC. 2012. Special report on managing extremes and disasters to advance climate change adaptation. Inter-governmental panel on climate change. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- MacDonald, A.M., Bonsor, H.C., Dochartaigh, B.É.Ó., and Taylor, R.G. 2012. Quantiative maps of groundwater resources in Africa. Environmental Research Letters 7. doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/7/2/024009.
- RWSN. 2010. Myths of rural water supply sector, Perspectives No. 4. Rural Water Supply Network: Gland, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Thomson, P., Hope, R.A., and Foster, T. 2012. GSM-enabled remote monitoring of rural handpumps: A proof of concept study. Journal of Hydroinformatics. doi: 10.2166/hydro.2012.183.
- UN. 2011. The human right to safe drinking water and sanitation. United Nations General Assembly, A/HRC/18/L.1, 23 Sept 2011.Google Scholar
- WHO/UNICEF. 2012. Joint monitoring programme for water supply and sanitation data tables [online]. WHO and UNICEF. Retrieved April 20, 2012 from http://www.wssinfo.org/data-estimates/table/.