Nuclear War Investigation Related to a Limited Nuclear Battle with Emphasis on Agricultural Impacts in the United States
- 441 Downloads
A limited battle involving the nuclear arsenals of India and Pakistan would have significant climatic impacts upon agricultural crop production in the United States; corn, soybeans, and winter wheat yields would be significantly reduced in the Corn Belt region of the US. The most severe impacts would occur during the second year after the modeled nuclear battle.
KeywordsLimited nuclear war Food impacts Corn Soybeans Wheat Corn Belt
The authors would like to acknowledge the funding and support provided by Ira Helfand, M.D., the Swiss Foreign Ministry, the International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, and the Cornell Association of Professors Emeriti through the Albert Podell Grant Program.
- Andersen, J. 2007. Michigan State University’s response to the drought conditions for the 2007 growing season. Agricultural Meteorology. East Lansing: Michigan State University. http://www.ipm.msu.edu/drought2007.htm. Accessed 11 May 2011.
- Arnold, F., S. Parasuraman, P. Arokiasamy, and M. Kothari. 2009. Nutrition in India. National Family Health Survey (NFHS-3) India 2005-06. Mumbai: Government of India, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, International Institute for Population Studies. http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/OD56/OD56.pdf. Accessed 9 Feb 2012.
- Average Weather in Des Moines. 2011. Average Weather in Des Moines, United States of America. Temperatures, precipitation, and sunshine. 2011. http://www.weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainfall-Temperature-Sunshine,DesMoines,United-States-of-America. Accessed 27 April 2011.
- Climatetemp.info/usa/des-moines-iowa.html. 2011. Minimum temp; average temp; wet days; relative humidity; maximum temp; precipitation; average sunlight hours/day. http://www.climatetemp.info/usa/des-moines-iowa.html. Accessed 27 April 2011.
- Degree Confluence Project. 2012. Degree confluence project: Location of 42 degrees N latitude, 95 degrees W longitude. http://confluence.org/confluence.php?lat=42&lon=-95. Accessed 18 April 2012.
- Elmore, R., L. Abendroth, and J. Rouse. 2006. Choosing corn hybrids. St. Paul: University of Minnesota. http://www.agronext.iastate.edu/corn/production/management/hybrid/choosing.html. Accessed 11 May 2011.
- Environmental Working Group. 2009. Biofuels and bad weather: How bad has the weather been for corn this year? http://www.ewg.org/node/26420. Accessed 16 May 2011.
- FAO. 2009. World summit on food security: Declaration of the world summit on food security. United Nations. Rome, Italy. http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/wsfs/Summit/Docs/Final_Declaration/WSFS09_Declaration.pdf. Accessed 27 April 2011.
- FAOSTAT. 2011. FAOSTAT. Food and agricultural organization. Rome: United Nations. http://faostat.fao.org/default.aspx. Accessed 27 April 2011.
- Food Inc. 2008. Cool, wet spring dampening corn crop hopes. Food Inc. The Associated Press. Food Inc., on MSNBC May 28, 2008. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24894069/. Accessed 27 April 2011.
- Giampietro, M., and D. Pimentel. 1994. Energy utilization. In Encyclopedia of agricultural science, vol 2, ed. C.J. Arntzen and E.M. Ritter. San Diego: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Grigg, D.B. 1993. The world food problem, 2nd ed. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Integrated Pest Management Resources. 2008. Michigan State University’s response to the drought conditions for the 2007 growing season. East Lansing: Michigan State University. http://www.ipm.msu.edu/drought2007.htm. Accessed 27 April 2011.
- Iowa State University Extension. 2001. Corn planting guide. Ames: Iowa State University. http://www.extension.iastate.edu/publications/pm1885.pdf. Accessed 27 April 2011.
- Koplow, D., and R. Steenblik. 2008. Subsidies to ethanol in the United States. In Biofuels, solar and wind as renewable energy systems: Benefits and risks, ed. D. Pimentel. Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- Kucharik, C.J., and S.P. Serbin. 2008. Impacts of recent climate change on Wisconsin corn and soybean yield trends. Environmental Research Letters 3: 10. http://www.sage.wisc.edu/pubs/articles/F-L/Kucharik/Kuch_SerbinERL2008.pdf. Accessed 27 April 2011.
- Neild, R.E., and J.E. Newman. 2011. Growing characteristics and requirements in the Corn Belt. Climate and weather. NCH-40. West Lafayette: Purdue University. Cooperative extension service. http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/NCH/NCH-40.html. Accessed 27 April 2011.
- Nielsen, R.L., and E. Christmas. 2002. Early season frost & low temperature damage to corn and soybean. Pest & Crop—No. 10, May 24, 2002 Lafayette: Purdue University, Department of Agronomy. http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/pestcrop/2002/issue10/P&C10_2002.pdf. Accessed 27 April 2011.
- NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council). 2002. The consequences of nuclear conflict between India and Pakistan. http://www.nrdc.org/nuclear/southasia.asp. Accessed 19 April 2012.
- O’Leary, M., G. Rehm, and M. Schmitt. 2008. Providing proper N credit for legumes. University of Minnesota Extension, WW-03769-GO. St. Paul: University of Minnesota. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/cropsystems/DC3769.html. Accessed 27 April 2011.
- Pimentel, D. 2012. Biofuels cause malnutrition in the world. In Global economic and environmental aspects of biofuels, ed. D. Pimentel. Boca Raton: CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group).Google Scholar
- Pimentel, D., and T. Patzek. 2008. Ethanol production: Energy and economic issues related to US and Brazilian sugarcane. In Biofuels, solar and wind as renewable energy systems: Benefits and risks, ed. D. Pimentel. Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- Pimentel, D., and M. Pimentel. 2008. Food, energy, and society. Boca Raton: CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group).Google Scholar
- Pimentel, D., and P. Satkiewicz. 2012. Worldwide malnutrition and food production. In Encyclopedia of sustainability, ed. R.M. Collin and R.W. Collin. Great Barrington: Berkshire Press.Google Scholar
- Pimentel, D., P.A. Oltenacu, M.C. Nesheim, J. Krummel, M.S. Allen, and S. Chick. 1980. The potential for grass-fed livestock: Resource constraints. Science 207: 843–848.Google Scholar
- Pimentel, D.J., Trager, S. Palmer, J. Zhang, B. Greenfield, E. Nash, K. Hartman, D. Kirshenblatt, and A. Kroeger 2012. Energy production from corn, cellulosic, and algae biomass. In Global economic and environmental aspects of biofuels, ed. D. Pimentel. Boca Raton: CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Satorre, E.H., and G.A. Slafer. 1999. Wheat: Ecology and physiology of yield determination. Binghamton: Food Products Press.Google Scholar
- Swoboda, R. 2010. Flooding has hurt Iowa’s 2010 corn, soybean prospects. Wallaces Farmer. July 8, 2010. http://wallacesfarmer.com/story.aspx/flooding/has/hurt/iowas/2010/corn/soybean/crop/prospects/39914. Accessed 11 May 2011.
- Troeh, F.R., A.H. Hobbs, and R.L. Donahue. 2004. Soil and water conservation for productivity and environmental protection. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- USBC. 2009. Statistical abstract of the United States: 2010, 129th edn. Washington, DC: US Census Bureau.Google Scholar
- US Congressional Budget Office. US Congress. http://www.cbo.gov/. Accessed 27 April 2011.
- USDA. 2010a. Agricultural Statistics 2009. US Department of Agriculture. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- USDA. 2010b. Agricultural Statistics 2010. US Department of Agriculture. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- Weise, E. 2011. Ethanol pumping up food prices. USA Today. February 14, 2011. http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2011-02-09-corn-low_N.htm. Accessed 19 April 2012.
- WHO. 2000. Nutrition for health and development: A global agenda for combating malnutrition. Progress Report. World Health Organization, Nutrition for Health and Development (NHD), Sustainable Development and Healthy Environments (SDE). http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2000/WHO_NHD_00.6.pdf. Accessed 19 April 2012.
- Wilhite, D.A. 2006. Drought impacts on corn in the Western Corn Belt and Great Plains of the USA. Lincoln: National Drought Mitigation Center, University of Nebraska. http://www.wamis.org/agm/meetings/anadia06/Wilhite_Corn.pdf. Accessed 11 May 2011.
- World Resources Institute. 2007. Nutrition: Grain fed to livestock as a percent of total grain consumed. Earth trends. The environmental information portal. Tables. http://earthtrends.wri.org/searchable_db/index.php?action=select_countries&theme=8&variable_ID=348. Accessed 27 April 2011.