miR-137 plays tumor suppressor roles in gastric cancer cell lines by targeting KLF12 and MYO1C
- 298 Downloads
Aberrant expression of miR-137 has been reported in many kinds of cancers, but its mechanisms seem to be diversely. In the present study, we compared the expression level of miR-137 in 18 paired gastric cancer (GC) samples and surgical margin (SM) samples by RNA extraction and quantitative real-time PCR (QRT-PCR). Then, we investigated the effects of miR-137 on cell proliferation, cell cycle, and cell migration separately by cell growth counting assay, cell cycle analysis, and transwell assay. Candidate targets of miR-137 were selected by biological information analysis from the intersection of miRDB, Pictar, and TarScan. Finally, mRNA and protein expression level of Krűppel-like factor 12 (KLF12) and Myosin 1C (MYO1C) were tested by QRT-PCR and western blotting assay, followed by the Luciferase reporter assay to investigate the direct interaction between them and miR-137. The results showed that miR-137 was down-regulated in GC samples than in SM samples. The expression level of miR-137 was significantly higher in patients without the vascular embolus than those with vascular embolus. And the overall survival time of patients with high miR-137 expression was longer than those with low miR-137 expression. Over expression of miR-137 could inhibit the cell migration, proliferation, and promote cell cycle arrest in G0/G1 stage in BGC-823 and SGC-7901 cell lines. KLF12 and MYO1C might be the candidate target genes of miR-137 with direct interactions between them and miR-137. In conclusion, miR-137 plays tumor suppressor roles in gastric cancer cell lines by targeting KLF12 and MYO1C.
KeywordsmiR-137 Gastric cancer KLF12 MYO1C
This work was supported by Ningbo Municipal Natural Science Foundation (Grant Number: 2014A610219).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
- 5.Zhang HL, Yang LF, Zhu Y, Yao XD, Zhang SL, Dai B, Zhu YP, Shen YJ, Shi GH, Ye DW. Serum miRNA-21: elevated levels in patients with metastatic hormone-refractory prostate cancer and potential predictive factor for the efficacy of docetaxel-based chemotherapy. Prostate. 2011;71(3):326–31.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Valladares-Ayerbes M, Blanco M, Haz M, Medina V, Iglesias-Díaz P, Lorenzo-Patiño MJ, Reboredo M, Santamarina I, Figueroa A, Antón-Aparicio LM, Calvo L. Prognostic impact of disseminated tumor cells and microRNA-17-92 cluster deregulation in gastrointestinal cancer. Int J Oncol. 2011;39(5):1253–64.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Fiaschetti G, Abela L, Nonoguchi N, Dubuc AM, Remke M, Boro A, Grunder E, Siler U, Ohgaki H, Taylor MD, Baumgartner M, Shalaby T, Grotzer MA. Epigenetic silencing of miRNA-9 is associated with HES1 oncogenic activity and poor prognosis of medulloblastoma. Br J Cancer. 2014;110(3):636–47.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Zheng X, Dong J, Gong T, Zhang Z, Wang Y, Li Y, Shang Y, Li K, Ren G, Feng B, Li J, Tian Q, Tang S, Sun L, Li M, Zhang H, Fan D. MicroRNA library-based functional screening identified miR-137 as a suppresser of gastric cancer cell proliferation. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2015;141(5):785–95.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Giefing M, Wierzbicka M, Rydzanicz M, Cegla R, Kujawski M, Szyfter K. Chromosomal gains and losses indicate oncogene and tumor suppressor gene candidates in salivary gland tumors. Neoplasma. 55(1):55–60.Google Scholar
- 24.Nakamura Y, Migita T, Hosoda F, Okada N, Gotoh M, Arai Y, Fukushima M, Ohki M, Miyata S, Takeuchi K, Imoto I, Katai H, Yamaguchi T, Inazawa J, Hirohashi S, Ishikawa Y, Shibata T. Krüppel-like factor 12 plays a significant role in poorly differentiated gastric cancer progression. Int J Cancer. 2009;125(8):1859–67.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Hedberg Oldfors C, Dios DG, Linder A, Visuttijai K, Samuelson E, Karlsson S, Nilsson S, Behboudi A. Analysis of an independent tumor suppressor locus telomeric to Tp53 suggested Inpp5k and Myo1c as novel tumor suppressor gene candidates in this region. BMC Genet. 2015;16:80.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar