Platinum-zoledronate complex blocks gastric cancer cell proliferation by inducing cell cycle arrest and apoptosis
- 291 Downloads
A series of novel dinuclear platinum complexes based on the bisphosphonate ligands have been synthesized and characterized in our recent study. For the purpose of discovering the pharmacology and action mechanisms of this kind of compounds, the most potent compound [Pt(en)]2ZL was selected for systematic investigation. In the present study, the inhibition effect on the human gastric cancer cell lines SGC7901 and action mechanism of [Pt(en)]2ZL were investigated. The traditional 3-[4,5-dimethyl-2-thiazolyl]-2,5-diphenyl-2-tetrazolium bromide (MTT) assay and colony formation assay were carried out to study the effect of [Pt(en)]2ZL on the cell viability and proliferation capacity, respectively. The senescence-associated β-galactosidase staining and immunofluorescence staining were also performed to assess the cell senescence and microtubule polymerization. Fluorescence staining and flow cytometry (FCM) were used to monitor the cell cycle distribution and apoptosis, and Western blot analysis was applied to examine the expression of several apoptosis-related proteins. The results demonstrated that [Pt(en)]2ZL exhibited remarkable cytotoxicity and anti-proliferative effects on the SGC7901 cells in a dose- and time-dependent manner, and it also induced cell senescence and abnormal microtubule assembly. The cell apoptosis and cell cycle arrest induced by [Pt(en)]2ZL were also observed with the fluorescence staining and FCM. The expressions of cell cycle regulators (p53, p21, cyclin D1, cyclin E, and cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK)2) and apoptosis-related proteins (Bcl-2, Bax, caspase-3, poly ADP ribose polymerase (PARP), and survivin) were regulated by the treatment of [Pt(en)]2ZL, resulting in the cell cycle arrest and apoptosis. Therefore, [Pt(en)]2ZL exerted anti-tumor effect on the gastric cancer via inducing cell cycle arrest at G1/S phase and apoptosis.
KeywordsPlatinum-zoledronate complex Human gastric cancer cell line SGC7901 Cell cycle arrest Apoptosis
The authors are grateful to the financial support from National Natural Science Foundation of China (21371082 and 21501074), Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu Province (BK20141102 and BK20151118), and Key Medical Talent Project of Jiangsu Province (RC2011097).
- 2.Zhang XJ, Liu YG, Shi XJ, Chen XW, Zhou D, Zhu DJ. The prognostic role of neutrophils to lymphocytes ratio and platelet count in gastric cancer: a meta-analysis. Int J Surg. 2015;21:84–91.Google Scholar
- 5.Al-Jaroudi SS, Altaf M, Al-Saadi AA, Kawde AN, Altuwaijri S, Ahmad S, et al. Synthesis, characterization and theoretical calculations of (1,2-diaminocyclohexane) (1,3-diaminopropane)gold(III) chloride complexes: in vitro cytotoxic evaluations against human cancer cell lines. Biometals. 2015;28(5):827–44.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Qiu L, Lv G, Cao Y, Chen L, Yang H, Luo S, et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel platinum complexes of imidazolyl-containing bisphosphonates as potential anticancer agents. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2015:1–13.Google Scholar
- 16.Wang H, Lu YT, Luo L, Li WS, Liang CF, He HY, et al. MicroRNA-195 inhibits the proliferation of human glioma cells by directly targeting cyclin D1 and cyclin E1. PLoS One. 2013;8, e54932.Google Scholar
- 26.Zuo D, Guo D, Jiang X, Guan Q, Qi H, Xu J, et al. 3-(3-Hydroxy-4-methoxyphenyl)-4-(3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)-1,2,5-selenadiazole (G-1103), a novel combretastatin A-4 analog, induces G2/M arrest and apoptosis by disrupting tubulin polymerization in human cervical HeLa cells and fibrosarcoma HT-1080 cells. Chem Biol Interact. 2015;227:7–17.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Zhao P, Chen L, Li LH, Wei ZF, Tong B, Jia YG, et al. SC-III3, a novel scopoletin derivative, induces cytotoxicity in hepatocellular cancer cells through oxidative DNA damage and ataxia telangiectasia-mutated nuclear protein kinase activation. BMC Cancer. 2014;14:987.Google Scholar
- 36.Chen CY, Chen SY, Chen CH. Liriodenine induces G1/S cell cycle arrest in human colon cancer cells via nitric oxide- and p53-mediated pathway. Process Biochem. 2012;47:1460–8.Google Scholar
- 40.Nordin N, Majid NA, Hashim NM, Rahman MA, Hassan Z, Ali HM. Liriodenine, an aporphine alkaloid from Enicosanthellum pulchrum, inhibits proliferation of human ovarian cancer cells through induction of apoptosis via the mitochondrial signaling pathway and blocking cell cycle progression. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2015;9:1437–48.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar