ANRIL: a pivotal tumor suppressor long non-coding RNA in human cancers
- 1.3k Downloads
Long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) are a family of non-protein-coding RNAs with length more than 200 nucleotides. LncRNAs played important roles in many biological processes such as cell development, proliferation, invasion and migration. Deregulation of LncRNAs was found in multiple tumors where they can act as a tumor suppressor gene or oncogene. LncRNA ANRIL was identified as an oncogene involved in a number of tumors such as gastric cancer, lung cancer, hepatocellular carcinoma, and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Inhibition of ANRIL suppressed the cancer cell proliferation, migration and invasion. Increasing data has showed that ANRIL may act as a diagnostic and prognostic biomarker for some tumors. In our review, we summarize an overview of current knowledge concerning the expression and role of ANRIL in various cancers.
KeywordsLong non-coding RNAs lncRNAs ANRIL Cancer
This work was supported by grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) (Grant Numbers: 81401847, 81272053 and 81330044).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
- 7.Taylor DH, Chu ET, Spektor R, Soloway PD. Long non-coding RNA regulation of reproduction and development. Mol Reprod Dev. 2015. doi: 10.1002/mrd.22581.
- 9.Yu X, Li Z. The role of miRNAs in cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. J Cell Mol Med. 2015. doi: 10.1111/jcmm.12649.
- 10.Li Z, Yu X, Shen J. The role of miRNAs in the pheochromocytomas. Tumour Biol. 2015. doi: 10.1007/s13277-015-4199-z.
- 11.Yu X, Li Z. MicroRNA expression and its implications for diagnosis and therapy of tongue squamous cell carcinoma. J Cell Mol Med. 2015. doi: 10.1111/jcmm.12650.
- 16.Wang G, Liu C, Deng S, Zhao Q, Li T, Qiao S, et al. Long noncoding rnas in regulation of human breast cancer. Brief Funct Genomics. 2015. doi: 10.1093/bfgp/elv049.
- 17.Tao H, Yang JJ, Zhou X, Deng ZY, Shi KH, Li J. Emerging role of long non-coding RNAs in lung cancer: current status and future prospects. Respir Med. 2015;110:12–9. Google Scholar
- 26.Pasmant E, Laurendeau I, Heron D, Vidaud M, Vidaud D, Bieche I. Characterization of a germ-line deletion, including the entire INK4/ARF locus, in a melanoma-neural system tumor family: identification of ANRIL, an antisense non-coding RNA whose expression coclusters with ARF. Cancer Res. 2007;67:3963–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Iranpour M, Soudyab M, Geranpayeh L, Mirfakhraie R, Azargashb E, Movafagh A, et al. Expression analysis of four long non-coding RNAs in breast cancer. Tumour Biol. 2015. doi: 10.1007/s13277-015-4135-2.
- 34.Kheradmand Kia S, Solaimani Kartalaei P, Farahbakhshian E, Pourfarzad F, von Lindern M, Verrijzer CP. EZH2-dependent chromatin looping controls INK4a and INK4b, but not ARF, during human progenitor cell differentiation and cellular senescence. Epigenetics Chromatin. 2009;2:16.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 36.Aguilo F, Di Cecilia S, Walsh MJ. Long non-coding RNA ANRIL and polycomb in human cancers and cardiovascular disease. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2015. doi: 10.1007/82_2015_455.