MicroRNA-503 represses epithelial–mesenchymal transition and inhibits metastasis of osteosarcoma by targeting c-myb
- 247 Downloads
Deregulated expression of miRNAs contributes to the development of osteosarcoma. Our previous study has showed that miR-503 was downregulated in osteosarcoma tissues. However, the mechanism of the miR-503 in osteosarcoma development still remains largely undefined. In our study, we found that miR-503 overexpression suppressed cell invasion and migration and inhibited epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition (EMT) of MG-63. Furthermore, we identified that c-myb, an oncogene, was a direct target of miR-503. Moreover, overexpression of c-myb could rescue miR-503-suppressed invasion and EMT. The expression of c-myb was upregulated in osteosarcoma cell lines. Therefore, we conclude that high miR-503 expression suppressed osteosarcoma cell mobility and EMT through targeting c-myb, and this may serve as a therapeutic target.
KeywordsOsteosarcoma MicroRNA miR-503 c-myb EMT
This work was supported by grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of Heilongjiang Province (Grant Numbers: H201308).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
- 24.Li Z, Lei H, Luo M, Wang Y, Dong L, Ma Y, et al. DNA methylation downregulated mir-10b acts as a tumor suppressor in gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer Off J Int Gastric Cancer Assoc Jpn Gastric Cancer Assoc. 2015;18:43–54.Google Scholar
- 29.Wang X, Sun J, Fu C, Wang D, Bi Z: Microrna-214 regulates osteosarcoma survival and growth by directly targeting phosphatase and tensin homolog. Mol Med Rep. 2014.Google Scholar
- 31.Wang Y, Shang Y: Epigenetic control of epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and cancer metastasis. Exp Cell Res. 2012.Google Scholar
- 33.Cai LM, Lyu XM, Luo WR, Cui XF, Ye YF, Yuan CC, Peng QX, Wu DH, Liu TF, Wang E, Marincola FM, Yao KT, Fang WY, Cai HB, Li X: Ebv-mir-bart7-3p promotes the emt and metastasis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells by suppressing the tumor suppressor pten. Oncogene 2014.Google Scholar
- 34.Tellez CS, Juri DE, Do K, Bernauer AM, Thomas CL, Damiani LA, et al. Emt and stem cell-like properties associated with mir-205 and mir-200 epigenetic silencing are early manifestations during carcinogen-induced transformation of human lung epithelial cells. Cancer Res. 2011;71:3087–97.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 36.Luo Z, Zhang L, Li Z, Jiang C, Dai Y, Liu X, et al. Mir-149 promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition and invasion in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban J Cent South Univ Med Sci. 2011;36:604–9.Google Scholar
- 43.Yongchun Z, Linwei T, Xicai W, Lianhua Y, Guangqiang Z, Ming Y, Guangjian L, Yujie L, Yunchao H: Microrna-195 inhibits non-small cell lung cancer cell proliferation, migration and invasion by targeting myb. Cancer Lett. 2014Google Scholar
- 44.Lu H, Wang Y, Huang Y, Shi H, Xue Q, Yang S, et al. Expression and prognostic role of c-myb as a novel cell cycle protein in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Transl Oncol Off Publ Fed Span Oncol Soc Natl Cancer Inst Mexico. 2013;15:796–801.Google Scholar