The role of microRNAs in the adrenocortical carcinomas
- 166 Downloads
MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are a group of small, non-protein-coding RNAs that inhibit gene expressions through binding their 3′-UTR regions. Each miRNA can regulate a number of target genes and play crucial roles in a lot of biological processes including organogenesis, hematopoiesis, cell development, proliferation, and invasion. Deregulated expression of miRNAs has been found to be associated with initiation and development of tumors. Increasing evidences showed that miRNAs play a crucial role in adrenocortical carcinomas (ACCs). Aberrant miRNA expression may contribute to ACC carcinogenesis, and it can act as tumor-suppressive or oncogenic miRNAs. In this review, we reviewed the recent studies available on ACC-associated miRNAs. We try to summarize the contribution of miRNAs to the initiation and development of ACCs.
KeywordsAdrenocortical carcinomas microRNAs MiRNAs MiR-7
This work was supported by grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) (Grant Number: 81401847).
- 5.Kassi E, Kaltsas G, Zografos G, Chrousos G. Current issues in the diagnosis and management of adrenocortical carcinomas; in De Groot LJ, Beck-Peccoz P, Chrousos G, Dungan K, Grossman A, Hershman JM, Koch C, McLachlan R, New M, Rebar R, Singer F, Vinik A, Weickert MO (eds): Endotext. South Dartmouth (MA), 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Mondal SK, Dasgupta S, Jain P, Mandal PK, Sinha SK. Histopathological study of adrenocortical carcinoma with special reference to the Weiss system and TNM staging and the role of immunohistochemistry to differentiate it from renal cell carcinoma. J Cancer Res Ther. 2013;9:436–41.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Yu X, Li Z. The role of miRNAs in cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma. J Cell Mol Med. 2015.Google Scholar
- 16.Li Z, Yu X, Shen J. The role of miRNAs in the pheochromocytomas. Tumour Biol J Int Soc Oncodev Biol Med. 2015.Google Scholar
- 17.Yu X, Li Z. MicroRNA expression and its implications for diagnosis and therapy of tongue squamous cell carcinoma. J Cell Mol Med. 2015.Google Scholar
- 37.Glover AR, Zhao JT, Gill AJ, Weiss J, Mugridge N, Kim E, Feeney AL, Ip JC, Reid G, Clarke S, Soon PS, Robinson BG, Brahmbhatt H, MacDiarmid JA, Sidhu SB. MicroRNA-7 as a tumor suppressor and novel therapeutic for adrenocortical carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2015.Google Scholar
- 44.Yu X, Li Z. The role of TARBP2 in the development and progression of cancers. Tumour Biol J Int Soc Oncodev Biol Med. 2015Google Scholar